I can't believe I'm overwhelmed!

Sep 30th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Doug

I can't believe I'm overwhelmed!

I can usually find all the info I'm looking for on the web for any location I'm interested in within about 2 days. Right now I'm in the early stages of planning a three week trip next March to South Africa including a safari in either Namibia and/or Botswana and seem to be running around in circles. I've read other people's posts on here and it seems to be a somewhat common problem. There are so many lodges, parks, operators, camps, outfits, etc that my head is spinning. So I defer to the wisdom of the board!

A little about me. I'm a 32 year old male and will be travelling solo. I'm also on a limited budget and don't mind roughing it. I've been looking for some good, reasonably priced 5 to 7 day safari options in either Namibia and/or Botswana. Any recommendations? I'd love to hear those who have gone solo.

Also, are most of the lodges booked well in advance or is it possible to set something up after I arrive in SA? I know there are a variety of game parks in SA but I was thinking of safari in Namibia and/or Botswana and just touring around Cape Town and surrounding areas.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:58 AM
evelyntrav

My daughter went on a participation camping safari with Wilderness Safaris to Botswana and Nambia. It was much less expensive than staying at their luxury camps and she had a grand time. Their website is www.wilderness-safaris.com.

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:21 PM
Doug

Thanks so much Evelyn. I'll look into it.

Oct 1st, 2002, 04:53 PM
evelyntrav

I took the Wilderness safari to Botswana and Namibia staying at luxury camps and found the operator to be excellent. All of our transfer were on time and each site was awesome. If you decide to use Wilderness, you need to book through a US or UK travel agent. If you want a copy of my trip report, or the name of my travel agent, you can write to me at the yahoo address.

Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:27 AM
Kavey

Me too, our safari operated by Wilderness Safaris in June 2001 was superb - we visited Namibia and Botswana and are longing to go back.

We've been saving since we got back last year and are hoping to go back next year.

We will definitely be using WS again, no question.

In terms of booking, from what I remember they dont really take direct bookings - you need to find a local agent that deals wtih them - in my case I used Sunvil Africa (here in the UK) and was very happy with them.

WS offer luury lodges with flights between, good lodges with driving between and camping with staff putting up camps for you as you go.

Search this Thread