Search

African Safari extension

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Ken

African Safari extension

I am planning an African Safari to Kenya and Tanzania in February. I have the opportunity to extend my 19 day trip by going to Victoria Falls for 5 days or going to Masai Mari Reserve for 5 days. Any suggestions out there? Is February a good time to go? Any comments or sugestions would be appreciated since this is my first trip to Africa.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:32 AM
jaco

Go for diversity. If you can go to Vic Falls, try and go from there via Okavango Delta in Botswana and from there to Namibia. <BR>For a diversity in cultures, wildlife and landscapes, there is nothing better that Africa can offer.<BR>5days migt be a little short but it is possible. Arrange to fly out again from Windhoek.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:34 AM
jaco

Go for diversity. If you can go to Vic Falls, try and go from there via Okavango Delta in Botswana and from there to Namibia. <BR>For a diversity in cultures, wildlife and landscapes, there is nothing better that Africa can offer.<BR>5days migt be a little short but it is possible. Arrange to fly out again from Windhoek.<BR>Only problem is February might be bad time in Botswana because of the mud of the recent rain season.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Kandy

Ken, what places are you going to visit on your trip in Kenya and Tanzania?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:05 AM
Ken

I am going to spend one night in Nirobi, then go to Sweetwaters Game Reserve, Then Amboseli National Park, then Tarangire National Park, then Lake Manyara National Park, then Ngorongoro Crater, then Arusha National Park....I want to know if I should take the tour operater offered extension to Victoria falls or Maai Mara Reserve. Thanks!!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:15 AM
Patricia

Having been on safari recently, I would say take Vic Falls. You seem to have a lot of safari-ing lined up. That would give you a little diversity. Haven't been to Vic Falls. Did spend time in Masai Mara and it was great, but you CAN get too much safari. We ended ours in Cape Town, a very nice break before heading home.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:56 PM
darlene

Ken,<BR>If you are going in Feb, I can't believe you aren't considering going to the Serengeti. In Feb, in the south eastern area, the wildebeest migration is going on and babies are being born by the ton. Of course the big cats were following all this too. We went in 2001 and it was the most incredible sight I had ever seen. I planned my whole trip around it. We went to all the other parks you mention in Tanzania and each was different and distinct, but the grass is high in Tanangire, and with plentiful water, there aren't as many elephants as other times (at least so I'm told). Masai Mara won't have as much going on at this time. One more thing, We stayed at Ndutu Lodge in the southern Serengeti, and it ended up being our favorite stop. It wasn't as fancy as some of the other places, but it was more camp like and friendly, genets live in the rafters of the dining area, and they feed them in the evening so that they come out for dinner. Check out their web site at www.ndutu.com