Stupid Egypt Questions re Visa and Vaccinations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been covered a million times -- a quick search didn't reveal an answer.

I am traveling to Egypt in December and thought I had eveything covered. A friend is going next month and has told me that she (1) took special photos for her visa; and (2) received a bunch of vaccinations, including hepatitis A and a bunch of other things, in preparation for her upcoming trip.

Do I need photos for the visa? And do I need shots?
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM

No photos required for egypt; the visa is available upon arrival at Cairo airport.
As for vaccinations I had hepatitis A & B and also had a typhoid shot..however we stay for 5 weeks and with my husband at his apt so apparently we are at higher risk than the regular tourist...not sure why but we are; probably as we are buying food from the local markets.

Check on the WHO(world health organization) for vaccination info. The US gov't might have one also.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM

Hi Abby

I agree with Lisa, you dont need anything other than your passport and payment to get your visa on arrival.

I didnt get any vaccinations although I did get a real bad tummy bug once and just hoped that it wasnt anything too serious that I should have been vacinated for.

As lisa said above check out WHO anyway and see what you want to do. I know people who have and who havent had them

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:34 AM

No photos required for Visa if purchasing on site.

While no inocs are required for entry to Egypt, it's generally a good rule for adults, regardless where traveling (even if never leaving home) to be current on inocs, such as Tetanus (DPT), Hep-A and Polio Booster.

See the WHO or US CDC site www.cdc.gov/travel (select Egypt) for info, then make a decision in dicussion with your personal physician.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Hep A & B always good for any travel. Also we are getting typhoid-lasts 2 years so be for Mexico this year & Egypt next.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM

We were in Egypt in 2008 - no pix, and no special vaccinations, although we did make sure our tetanus was up to date.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 05:22 AM
P_M

The OP never stated her nationality and that's a question I always ask before offering advice about Egyptian visas.

If you are American you will have no problem getting your visa at the airport. Our group had Canadians and British and they were also able to get visa on the spot. If you are none of the above please check with your local Egyptian Embassy or Consulate.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Just a note on the Hep A shot if you decide to get one. It's two shots and you have to wait 6 months after the first one to get the second shot to be fully vaccinated. The first is good protection, but not perfect. So if you decide to get it, you'll only be partly vaccinated for your trip. I was told that Hep B wasn't *really* needed if you're only playing tourist (everyone has a different comfort level so definitely check the CDC website), but Hep A is very highly suggested. Tetanus should be up to date anyway, so if you haven't had one of those this decade you should think about getting one.

I would highly suggest getting any shots you decide to get soon and not waiting until the week before your trip. If you react to any of the shots, it's nice to get it out of the way at home and not on your trip. It turns out I'm allergic to the Hep A shot and had a goose egg size ITCHY lump on my arm for two weeks after the first shot. I'm getting the second Hep A shot two days before I leave for Egypt so I'll start on full doses of Benadryl the morning I'll get the shot to try to keep it from being so annoying this time.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
P_M

Iowa_Redhead, I was told the Hep B is only needed if you plan to work in a medical facility or have sex with the locals. It was a tough call and I gave it considerable thought. But in the end I decided to skip the Hep B and to forgo any trysts with the Egyptian gigolos.

Old Oct 18th, 2009, 03:38 PM

<< But in the end I decided to skip the Hep B and to forgo any trysts with the Egyptian gigolos. >>

Will refrain from comment.......will refrain from comment.....will refrain from comment.........
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM

I had to think about it seriously too. I've been single for quite a while and a tryst with an Egyptian gigolo is starting to sound like a good idea!

My doc said most tourists really don't need a Hep B shot, but I'm always afraid to even hint at telling someone not to get a vaccine.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Omar Sharif, 30/yrs ago! (Dr. Yuri Zhivago) ... besides, he's a master Backgammon player... and can put his slippers under my bed!

Hep-B is usually recommended for those who will be in-country in excess of 3/mo, working for an NGO, Peace Corp, local villages. However, there is a current inoc that combines both A & B (believed called Twinex) that some docs give. Otherwise, Hep-A is sufficient and which one can be contracted anywhere, even if you never leave home.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM

<<<Omar Sharif, 30/yrs ago! (Dr. Yuri Zhivago) ... >>>

Hate to tell you, but Dr. Zhivago opened 44 years ago!!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM

sf7307 -

Goodness, I was a teenager. Seems like yesterday!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Im still laughing about the categories of requirements for the Hep B injection PM lol

I can just see the World Health Org saying, oh yes, do you plan to work in a medical facility or have sex with a local? ah yes ok then I see..... you need the jab haha.

Funny

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM

I too was a youngster when the hunky Doctor Z was on the screen, re-runs only I will point out - not the original screening - for the record haha!. I then moved onto Richard Gere (officer and a Gentleman) and then onto George Clooney (in ER). Do you think i have something about men with a touch of grey?? hmmmm I see a pattern formed somewhere haha

Scotsgirl
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

I love the turn this thread has taken.

And sorry for forgetting to mention -- I am American, so your advice re getting the visa at the airport should work for me.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 05:39 AM

scotsgirl -

None of them - Omar, Richard or George - had grey hair when we first met them! But then, neither did we!
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 07:47 AM

<<<None of them - Omar, Richard or George - had grey hair when we first met them! But then, neither did we!>>>

Exactly, but what they did have was that "big hair" -- thick, luxurious, with that big wave in front. I was so mad when George Clooney first changed his hairstyle. But he's lookin' good again!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -