Hyperdrive help - am I being an idiot?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving for Nairobi very soon and am playing with my new Hyperdrive SPACE device.
I hate to sound like an idiot, but how do you get the images off the device and into your computer?
When I plug in the USB cable, it just tells me it's charging, even tho' it's already fully charged.
I'm sure the answer is embarrassingly simple, but I'm new to this portable hard drive thing. It was a gift and I haven't a clue.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 08:38 AM

First, how did you put images onto the Hyperdrive?
I do not actually have the Hyperdrive Space but here is how other drives I've used work. To get photos off of Hyperdrive you plug the USB cable into the Hyperdrive and the other end into your PC. Your PC should see/recogonize the Hyperdrive as another device or drive. And then you can "open" it to see the picture folder or pictures. Depending on your PC or Mac the Hyperdrive may automatically appear on your PC screen as an icon, or not, or may even open up automatically. Sounds like you will have to go into "My Computer" and look for it as another device/drive. Then open it. Try that. Hope this helps a little, good luck.

regards - tom
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Tom.
The device says it has copied the CF card successfully, but when I insert the USB, nothing pops up.
When I check the devices under My Computer, the device shows up as Removable Disk K, but when I click on it, it says to insert a disk into the drive. So the computer is not recognizing the device. It's a brand new computer and I'm pretty saavy with this stuff. This has me stumped.
I'll keep trying and hopefully someone else has one of these things.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:27 AM

Photogal, I've got one. But my computer (mac) reads it when I plug it into the computer.

Here's what I do. I plug it in thru the USB, then select on, then select USB and it comes up as an icon reading "Compactdvr"

Then I open it in my Bridge on Photoshop CS3 and am able to look at all the folders/files and transfer them, if needed.

Hopefully this will be of some help in the process. I can't figure out what you're doing differently but let me know if I can be of any help.

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks divewop. I'm on a PC (probably the problem!) and I'm finding the user manual rather useless.
When I do what you suggested (which I've already done), the device says USB at the top left and below it says
"Hitachi HTS54128".
Pushing ANY of the buttons gets me nowhere. So I turn it off and start over.
When I go
Feature > Browse > HDD I get LOADING ... and then I get:
\
SPAC000\
SPAC001\
SPAC002\
SPAC003\
This tells me the files are there (4x) but I can't seem to get INTO those files to read the individual image titles.
I'm about the throw the darn thing out the window and go buy a Wolverine!
Pleeeeeese help if you can.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 09:53 AM

photogal - Sounds like the PC has recognized the Hyperdrive. Great.

Try before you plug in the Hyper to first put in it a CF card that you know for sure has photos on it. Next, plug Hyper into PC and see if the PC then comes back with the same message about inserting a disk. Bet it says something else. Maybe another clue?

FWIW, I'm about to shut down my PC to do major maintenance. I'll be off line for a few hours. When I get back on I expect that you will have solved your problem

regards - tom
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:07 AM

All you should have to push is the on button (X) and then the button to access the USB (the triangle) and it should bring up the icon on your computer.

Are you using photoshop or some other method to open the icon?
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM

good question is the Hyper turned "on" when you USB into PC?
I think it must be or PC would not recognize it.

regards - tom
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I've got it working.
I use Microsoft Digital Image Suite as my download program and then different programs depending on whether they're "snapshots" or "photos".
The problem with simple devices is that they're TOO simple. I was looking for something more complex.
The basic root file system had me stumped, too. Kind of reminded me of the old DOS days.
I even changed the file name from SPAC to FILE to make it really easy.
Thanks so much for your help. Now, if only the political situation in Kenya would cool down a bit ...
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:29 AM

The problem is Microsoft Digital Image Suite. I really dislike OSs (XP, Vista) that try to make things easy and simple for me. And they also want to use their own programs for file, picture, movie viewing. I want to do it the best way, my way.

regards - tom