Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Hyatt Hotel in Sharm el Sheik (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/hyatt-hotel-in-sharm-el-sheik-157540/)

Mark Aug 8th, 2001 01:23 AM

Hyatt Hotel in Sharm el Sheik

We plan to spend a week in Sharm in October. Any experience with the Hyatt Hotel? Has it a beach, is it worth the money. Is the Ritz Carlton better?

Hiba Jan 9th, 2002 03:46 AM

I'm interested in exactly the same thing, only for February. Any info is appreciated!

Pam Jan 13th, 2002 09:27 AM

We live in Cairo and get over to Sharm at least three times a year. We have stayed at the Hyatt twice in the last year. The hotel is a bit of a mixed bag. First the positives: It is quite quiet if you get a room far away from the lounge-lizard acts. The buffet breakfast is quite nice and more than adequate. It is aesthetically pleasing and a great romp for kids because of a water slide. Almost all of the rooms have a sea view, though sometimes it is limited. There is a beach and a dock from which you can snorkel. The facility is barely two years old, and the reef has suffered greatly. In truth, it is heartbreaking to witness the precipitous decline in coral health since it opened. <BR><BR>My biggest beef with the hotel is inadequate air-conditioning. It shouldn't be a problem in February, but October is still very hot. Both times we were put into rooms in which the air was inadequate or just plain not working. The first time, we were moved three times before we found one that was cool enough. The second time, when I made the reservation I warned them that I expected air that worked and when I arrived and found otherwise, I threw such a hissy-fit that they upgraded us to a suite. <BR><BR>We have also stayed at the Hilton and found the staff exceptionally rude. The Movenpick has rooms on both sides of the highway. The units on the far side of the property are a looooong way from the restaurants and boardwalk, although they do run a shuttle that takes you about 1/3 of the way there. The rooms close to the boardwalk can be extremely noisy. They are also notorious for not having a room available when you arrive. <BR><BR>We too are making plans to return for a national holiday in Feb, and I have not decided where to stay. Maybe we will try the Ritz Carlton? <BR><BR>One thing I would advise is to bargain very hard on price and sweeten the deal by waving American $100 bills under their noses. You might be amazed what a good deal you can negotiate doing that. It works for me all of the time living here. Pam

Pam Jan 13th, 2002 09:13 PM

We live in Cairo and get over to Sharm at least three times a year. We have stayed at the Hyatt twice in the last year. The hotel is a bit of a mixed bag. First the positives: It is quite quiet if you get a room far away from the lounge-lizard acts. The buffet breakfast is quite nice and more than adequate. It is aesthetically pleasing and a great romp for kids because of a water slide. Almost all of the rooms have a sea view, though sometimes it is limited. There is a beach and a dock from which you can snorkel. The facility is barely two years old, and the reef has suffered greatly. In truth, it is heartbreaking to witness the precipitous decline in coral health since it opened. <BR><BR>My biggest beef with the hotel is inadequate air-conditioning. It shouldn't be a problem in February, but October is still very hot. Both times we were put into rooms in which the air was inadequate or just plain not working. The first time, we were moved three times before we found one that was cool enough. The second time, when I made the reservation I warned them that I expected air that worked and when I arrived and found otherwise, I threw such a hissy-fit that they upgraded us to a suite. <BR><BR>We have also stayed at the Hilton and found the staff exceptionally rude. The Movenpick has rooms on both sides of the highway. The units on the far side of the property are a looooong way from the restaurants and boardwalk, although they do run a shuttle that takes you about 1/3 of the way there. The rooms close to the boardwalk can be extremely noisy. They are also notorious for not having a room available when you arrive. <BR><BR>We too are making plans to return for a national holiday in Feb, and I have not decided where to stay. Maybe we will try the Ritz Carlton? <BR><BR>One thing I would advise is to bargain very hard on price and sweeten the deal by waving American $100 bills under their noses. You might be amazed what a good deal you can negotiate doing that. It works for me all of the time living here. Pam

Rosemarie Jan 16th, 2002 05:16 PM

Hi <BR><BR>stayed at the Hyatt Regency past April and it was breathtaking, not a high rise but a low rise with a beautiful view of the Red Sea. No beach to really speak of but a beachy type area for snorkelling. The Hyatt was very fancy with very beautiful people, not casual at all but hey i was casual and enjoyed the luxury. i went as part of a package deal so i dont know the cost. How much is it? Loved Sharm, dont forget to sign up for the tour to St Catherines Monestery where you can climb to the top of Mt Sinai. only for the very adventourous and pretty physically fit.<BR>It is a three hour drive to the Monestary and the tours leave at 11pm from the hotel and arrives around 2am ish, you hang at the monestery and then head up the Mt for a sunrise view. Took the camel path and then the 750 step (I counted ) up to the summit and dont forget to go down the same way not the short cut which almost killed me. Loved that part of the experience i mean the trip to the top of mt Sinai. i figured if i did that i am assured a place in heaven LOL<BR>enjoy your travels