Help with Itinerary in Israel

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 11:06 PM
Sue

Help with Itinerary in Israel

My mother and I (35 and 65)are planning on visiting a relative in Tel Aviv for 2 weeks at the end of November. Since they're working, we'd like to try to plan a bit on our own during the week as well as eating most dinners with them and spending some time sight-seeing with them during the weekends as they haven't lived there that long. (They've mentioned that they definitely want to the Dead Sea with us for instance)

I'd appreciate any thoughts/recommendations that you may have!

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 02:42 PM
John

Sue, you need to allocate several days for Jerusalem. It can be done as a day trip from Tel Aviv (about an hour or so each way), so if you want to return in the evening that's doable, although at least one overnight would be a strong recommendation. The old city, of course, but also the Israel Museum, Mount of Olives, Yad Vashem...gosh, the list is long.

Day trips can be taken to Caesaria or Akko, overnights needed for the the Galilee or Golan, both worth visiting. The Dead Sea and Masada are also best seen as overnights if you're based in Tel Aviv. Remember that the Sabbath is not the best day to visit Jerusalem unless your plans can be accomplished on foot, or involve the Christian or Arab parts of town.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 06:20 PM
amik

Sue,
End of Nov. is a good time, weather wise!
Tel-Aviv is an excellent base, since it's in the middle of the country.
Ther are 2-3 tour-bus companies in Israel, the biggest one is Egged-Tours, with which you can take guided day-trips to a lot of places. You don't have to make reservations now, do it there.
Yes, Jerusalem (45 mn. from TLV) is a must. There is a wonderful Chihully (sp?) exhibit in Migdal (tower) David, that everyone there is raving about.
Dead Sea (1.5-2 hrs. from TLV) is a must! Public transportation in Israel is very good, mostly busses. You can take a regular Egged bus from TLV to there, but check departure times.
Try to find a day tour to the Galilee.
The Negev, Israeli desert in the south, is wonderful, and it's 2-3 hours from TLV.
And if you have time, take a 5 hr. trip by bus (or a plane) to Eilat, deep south, on the Red Sea. It's a great place for 2-3 days of vacation.
Hope this helps.
Amik.

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 06:47 AM
susan

Just a couple of comments on the last post: The Negev desert is really interesting, but I think it would probably take you a lot longer than 2-3 hours from Tel Aviv to a good base (like Mitzpe Ramon). That is definitely an two or three day trip.

And as for Eilat, if you are going to the trouble and expense of flying, I suggest you go to another spot on the Red Sea - - maybe Sharm El Sheikh in Egypt. Eilat is crowded and unbelievably expensive. Also, the diving and snorkeling are better further south.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:23 AM
sue

Thank you for all for your input. I"d appreciate anymore comments on the desert/Negev? What should we plan to do there, ie places to go? Do you think that we should sign up for any (day)tours or can we get as much out of it by ourselves?

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 11:01 AM
amik

Sue,
RE: Negev, Susan's posting
In 2-3 hrs. drive from TLV you definitly start entering the Negev desert. Yes, Mitzpe Ramon, a small town built on top of the marvellous Ramon crater is in the hart of the Negev, about 4 hrs. from TLV. Yes, you could travel for days in the Negev Desert, but you could also make it in one long day.
Go to
www.eggedtours.co.il
it's the biggest tour bus company in Israel, with many offerings of day-trips all over the country.
You could also rent a car and do it yourself. Get a book about Israel, or check this Fodor's site.
Amik.