Hwange National Park?

Sep 3rd, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Hwange National Park?

anyone visited Makololo Plains recently? i have heard that the game is very good in the dec-jan time frame as well as the winter months and was hoping someone who has personal experience could share. also i would be combining it with a trip to botswana so wondered how the transfers were etc. any help would be appreciated.
Sep 10th, 2004, 09:49 PM
JamesEOA

Hi bigcountry,
Was there a year ago June. Great elies (of course) - visit the woodpile hide definitely... very good lions around the camp and plenty of plains game (zebra, giraffe, sable, etc). Mak and Chikwenya are both great options and the pricing make them a great value.

Mak is very good photgraphically with all the open veldt. I'll definitely be heading back soon.

Transfers from Bots will most likely require a night in VicFalls - from there it's a short flight (under an hour in a Cessna 206).

You might consider the Mana Canoe Trail if you have the time too. Cheers

Sep 11th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks james,
i was thinking about going to makololo in january and heard the plains game then is great. have you heard this as well? i would love to do the mana canoe trip but the people i travel with dont feel that comfortable manuevering through hippos at close quarters so for now we will be heading to botswana and combining that with makololo.
Sep 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM
JamesEOA

Yes, the area will be lovely with new grasses in January and the herbivores will be grazing away on the rich food supply - great photo opprtunities!

You'll LOVE it. Mana (and Chikwenya) is also almost unbelievably pretty after the rains with the green grass and all the albida trees - amazing landscapes, especially with the elephants, impalas, and eland grazing amongst them.

Zim and the operators keeping their camps open can also use every dollar during the agonizing time they are enduring - so you can feel good about helping in that way as well.

Believe me, you won't be disappointed. Cheers

Search this Thread