hunting/gunfire near S luangwa

Nov 25th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

hunting/gunfire near S luangwa

hi all! this was part of message re South lungwa planning for june/may....might have more luck here......
Author: judithlorraine123 ([email protected])
Date: 11/25/2005, 09:50 am
hi all! still hoping someone might respond to this in respect to south luangwa....

"have wondered about hunting in GMA. had a horrific and traumatic experience a few years ago trying to prevent illegal "sports" in malta. it was like being in a war zone. broke my heart seeing all the senseless carnage. has left me even less able to deal with hunting "issues". do you hear much gunfire along the edge of the park towards the GMA? could this be a problem for us at any of the lodges(?)not just bottling out on this - really do have a big problem as a result of previous involvement."

cheers - lorraine

Nov 25th, 2005, 06:05 AM

For all the time I have been in and around South Luangwa(in the GMAs, I have never heard gunfire.
Nov 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Judith,

In the last three years, I have visited the following South Luangwa camps/lodges:

Kafunta River Lodge
Kafunta Island Bush Camp
Kaingo
Chichele Presidential Lodge
Luangwa River Lodge
Puku Ridge

I have yet to hear a single gunshot while staying at anyplace in South Luangwa. The photosafari lodges and the hunting lodges in the surrounding GMA's seem to be pretty successful at respecting each others territory. Honestly, I have never even seen a hunter, that I knew of, while at Mfuwe. Yes, I have seen them at the Joburg and Lusaka airports with their rifle cases, but then they probably jump on light air transfers to private airstrips.

Trophy hunting is unfortunately prevalent in just about every African wildlife country, with the exception of Kenya. In Kenya, the government instead makes deals with the Thai government to send them animals that are put on display and then later offered up on the dinner menu, so it is not like Kenya is not also without fault.

The best thing that we can do, collectively, to oppose trophy hunting is to continue with our photosafaris. Wilderness Safaris and Kwando in Botswana have been very successful at managing huge tracts of land (millions of acres) of prime wildlife area and have been able to do so while mostly keeping the hunting operations shut out of these areas (although it the Botswana government who decides who gets the land lease, and that is why in the past each Wilderness Safaris and Kwando have been forced to occasionally share one of their huge concessions with a trophy hunting operation, although I am sure they kept well clear of each other).

Another good example of photosafaris overtaking hunting safaris in an area is at Phinda. Up until last year there was a neighboring hunting area known as Zuka. Phinda has been so successful that they bought out Zuka and enlarged Phinda with the newest camp, Phinda Zuka.
Nov 28th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

thanx rocco + luangwablondes - that´s great to know and very reassuring. am plodding along with my trip planning, but unfortunately (or maybe i should be plsd???) keep going off on a tangent as i hear of things new to me. ever heard reports on kasanka/shoebill and mutinondo? might be adding a loop thru here OR mutinondo, kapishya and on to north luangwa before returning to s luangwa. seen anything on these spots? sound pretty good to me. have finally posted trip report for nov at kwando:

trip report kwando 2005 + audi camp

wisjing you well - lorraine
Nov 28th, 2005, 07:50 AM

I have been once to South Luangwa, and never heard any gunfire. Its an excellent park, with a wide variety of animals, and some interesting endemics.

I am also very interested in traveling to Kasanka, and there is a nice lodge that I'm sure you can find from google. There's also a bat migration, but I don't remember the month, and if I visit, I likely will time my visit for the bat migration. Supposedly, crocodiles travel to the forest and wait under the trees for bats to drop.

Michael
Nov 28th, 2005, 07:56 AM

www.kasanka.com

Your agent, providing they are setup in Zambia, will be able to book this for you.
Nov 28th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Lorraine

Mark Harvey-Shiwa Safaris does that loop-Kasanka, Banguleu, Kapishya-Shiwa Ngandu and North Luangwa. Its a popular safari which he leads himself in early part of season May-July I believe.
The bat migration is in full force currently and into Dec.
Nov 29th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

cheers luangwablondes!

had just been looking at his (mark harvey) www when i saw your post....am juggling ideas and dates at this mo. should be easy peasy to sort something there and then down to south luangwa. may be possible to "knit" something between the N/S luangwa safai already discussed, mark harvey and kafunta...we´ll see! thanx again!
Nov 29th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

rocco - hi there! thanx for kasanka www. really looks good doesn´t it? and something to remember (along with shoebill) for travelling in the "off" season too. was hoping that a fodorite or two had already been. very favourable report in bradt guide.

Search this Thread