Search

Hugging the cheetahs at KWS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hugging the cheetahs at KWS

For Imelda (OnlyMeOirish) and Simon (Pumbavu) and any others that were interested in hugging the cheetahs at the animal orhanage in Nairobi -

Kennedy, the driver/guide that we have booked in Nairobi has successfully obtained permission to get us in! If anyone is interested in this, please email me at
lyndadswain at telus dot net for Kennedy's contact info.

I do realize this may not be the time to post this considering the other thread about the lioness, but it is under controlled conditions, and will be done along with the KWS staff. The cheetahs at the orphanage are well-fed and probably will not think of us as a treat! I had the opportunity to do this at Spiers winery in South Africa in 2003 - it was TRULY an amazing experience! Going in with respect, I just made sure that we followed the handlers instructions to the letter, and it was AWESOME!

I am really looking forward to doing this again - Leely you sure recommended a GREAT person there - Kennedy is awesome!
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:19 PM

Congratulations--and do be careful, although I assume KWS will err on the conservative side.

Glad to hear Kennedy's living up to the hype. He is a very nice man.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM

Doing a little dance with that news Lynda!! I have just sent you an e-mail.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Lynda,
Is this something our tour guide would be able to arrange for us? We'll be doing the touristy things for a day in Nairobi in July and would like to include this. Is there a website I can be looking at?
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM

For a picture of the newest Nairobi cheetah orphan log on to:

http://www.eastandard.net/arts.php?t...;img_topic=161

I was astounded to read that there are now fewer than 1,000 cheetahs left in Kenya. I knew the bushmeat trade was bad, but didn't realize things were that bad. Perhaps that is why we only saw one group in Amboseli in February and none in Tsavo.

Jan
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jan, for the picture - that little guys is SO cute! (big teeth though....) I wonder if I will meet this little guy in person?

Calo- We are not too sure on who can get in and who can't - coco posted that she was asked if she wanted to go in (Feb) I think, but someone else posted that it wasn't everyone who got to go in. I would assume it would depend on the time of day, etc., but I just didn't want to take any chances that we would be there at the wrong time, or the wrong day. I don't think it could hurt to ask your guide to get pre-permission like Kennedy did! The only website I could find was a little tiny blurb about it on the KWS website, I'll post it for you once I find it again, back to you in a short bit! (have to clean house for company at the moment but will look as soon as they leave)
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
santharamhari

Anybody going to the cheetah center at Spier.......please buy the conservation tshirts and hand some donation (whatever you can) to them at the center. All the proceeds goes to the CCF is think......i still hv my t-shirt from there and i bought many more as gifts.......

Hari

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM

LyndaS...were you able to find the website that mentioned the opportunity to visit the orphaned cheetahs? Or can anyone shed some light on how to arrange for this?
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

I'm so sorry Calo - I forgot all about that - my apologies!
The only tidbit I can find on the internet is at:
http://www.webkenya.com/eng/safari/n...park.php#see12
if that takes you to a page with a map on it - scroll down, there is a small section on the orphange there!
Let me know how you make out?
Lynda