Search

serengeti february

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serengeti february

Hi guys,(bat,leely,eben)I have got a reservation at emc for accomodation only for 5 nights. Should I have my own vehicle for the game drives and transportation from arusha or should I take an all inclusive package??? In which case would I see the maximum wildlife(cats& wildebeest). Also should I take 3 nights at emc and the other 3 nights at kusini, so I see different wildlife. Will 5 nights a one place become boring??? pls advise.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:47 PM
bat

sonali:
Oooh, this is so exciting. I am so happy for you. But with that said, you need Eben at this point.

When you say should you have your own vehicle or do an all inclusive, how did you do the booking?

Eben recently posted that he has a triangulation plan in which you stay at 2 distant points of the triangular area in which you expect to see the migration. I do not know if Kusini counts relative to EMC's position or not--BTW, do you know that you can get in to Kusini? It may not be worth agonizing about it if you cannot get in.

My gut reaction is to put yourself in the hands of EMC--including their guides. But as I said, Eben is the person who will know.

[Here is the recent thread in which Eben explained his triangulation plan. http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...1&start=0]
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:56 PM
bat

sonali
If the EMC camp is near Ndutu, I am guessing that you want to add time in the central serengeti. Here is a thread that contains comments from austkaye (near the end of the thread) who stayed at Kusini and it was too far away from the action.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 06:58 PM
bat

here it is:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...rchText=kusini
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bat, I know a operater who can definately give me a vehicle and driver guide. So I can take only accomodation at emc and do game drives on my own. I donnot know how emc operates their vehicles for gamedrives. Do they take other people in camp along. Because I like to option to leave any time I please,specially early 6'oclock in the morning when most of the game is active
I think 3 nights in ndutu area(emc),2 nights moru and 2 nights at seronera wildlife should be a good trip. What do you think??? GOSH I am increasing my days, but I am in love with serengeti.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM
bat

That does sound like a good trip. I do not know how EMC works their vehicles in camp. You would need your own guide for the non-EMC locations anyway, correct? Where will you stay at Moru--camping?

If Eben does not respond soon you can either "tt" the thread to bring it to the top, or post a new thread directed specifically to him ie "Eben, help, please" to catch his attention.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:16 PM
sandi

bat - You've got that right.
sonali- If you'll have a guide/driver for Moru and Wildlife, this same guide will get you to EMC and conduct your gamedrives. No need for someone else. You're technically on a private safari and can set your own game drive schedule.

I don't even believe (though may be wrong [Eben correct me, if I'm in error]) EMC does Game Packages - i.e., flown in and all services provided by the camp. They're a Full Board camp where you arrive with your own guide/driver. Besides, properties offering Game Packages (GP) cost more than FB.

What does your entire itinerary look like? And who is the outfitter who is putting this together for you?

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Sandi, HI!! I deal with many outfitters, and select the most reasonable one.My entire trip is basically 3 nights emc, 2 nights moru, and 2 nights seronera area.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM

EMC offers both Full Board and Game Packages. Rack rates are here...

http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/EMC.htm

They use a combination of closed and open vehicles (limited).

I think one can join the shared game drives in the open vehicles for $25 per half day depending on availability even if you are on the full board package.

After my 2-night stay later this month I will know all the details!

I agree that it is best to get your own driver/guide vehicle in Arusha for your safari.

I also agree that between mid-Dec and mid-March one needs at least 3 stops somewhere within the square area anchored by Ndutu, Kusini, Seronera and Piaya to really increase the chances of being in the midst of the migration.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:22 PM
bat

sonali:
3 nights EMC, 2 nights moru, 2 nights serengeti wildife--with private guide driver--it sounds like Go For It!

Let us know.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 03:52 AM
sandi

Eben - thanks for correcting me on that, if I don't have my papers in front of me, I can confuse one camp from another!

sonali - then if you have your own guide/driver for the other camps, use the same guide for EMC and set your own schedule - hours, full-days, as you find best. In addition to the prices Eben shows, remember that if traveling with your own guide/driver there are additional costs for this individual... such meals & accomm for the guide, then for the vehicle, petrol, insurance; whereas if you were flying into a camp/lodge you have the flight expense to/from.

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, Eben I went to your site and I must say its gorgeous. wow you are really doing a great job. Thanks a lot for all the info. By the way bat I donnot have any accomodation in moru area,pls could u and eben guide me which is the best place. I was thinking of sopa?? Do u have a better suggestion,Sonali.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:24 AM
bat

Hi sonali:
No, sorry, I do not have a suggestion. I see from Eben's map that Sopa is the closest lodge. There are campsites at Moru if camping is available from your operator.

Eben:
I guess that I will have to stop calling your migration plan a triangulation plan--since it is only a triangular area during June, July, and into August but it is a square area in Jan-Mar!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Hi Bat

There should be a geometric for every month - I will complete that soon!

In the meantime these are just suggestions that are only specific to each thread...for example the triangle in question applies to June (the month in the thread), but in early August it shifts to a square type anchored by Kleins, Sayari, Sabora and Seronera.

The only reason I've not completed it is because it is so difficult to be at least somewhat accurate!

The current migration maps on the internet are vastly inaccurate - and the "real-time" maps offered by some lodges only tell a part of the story - they can only report on what they see nearby.

As a result it is almost impossible to say whether the herds in question are the main herds or not. It is also a well-known fact that some reports are ambitious - the migration is big business and it's understandably tempting to declare that "the migration has arrived" when a few wildebeest show up while the main herds are still weeks away! Or to state that the migration is "still in full swing" when in fact the main herds have come and gone and only small groups of residents or stragglers remain!

At the end of the day it's all in the eyes of the beholders and since last-minute bookings are near impossible, all we can do is to hedge our booking bets based on recent history and then hope for the best.

From the outfitters points of view, it is hard, hard work (and expensive) to design itineraries around the elusive migration - very view outfitters care enough about the migration to even try. They'd rather not deal with last-minute itinerary changes to adapt to changing migration patterns.

Mobile camps are the answer to increase one's chances to experience those magical migration moments:
e.g.
- croccodile interaction at the Grumeti River
- standing on a kopje surrounded by millions of anilmals dotted over the Serengeti plains
- sleeping in a tent with the gnu and cat sounds from all directions
- seeing the birth of thousands zebra and wildebeest young in a green vast landscape

The mobile units are out there and many are in prime positions for Feb.

However, the million dollar questions remains unanswered:

- which are prime camp spots in Feb?
- who is camping at these prime spots and how does one book a tent that suite one's budget and comfort preferences?

In this thread, Moru is mentioned. In Feb, the Moru 9 camp site is very good as it faces East - with binoculars one can see most of the southern plains (and there are rhino in the area).

Unfortunately, Moru 9 has been booked for months already (as are all 4 the Moru sites!)

Yet, it may be possible to book a tent with the outfitter in question - if you can find out who that outfitter is!

After December I will be able to post some of this info on go-safari.com.

In the mean time, you are a bit stuck - most outfitters in Arusha are clueless about the special camps and they have no idea where these camps are and what the differences are between Moru 7a and Moru 8 for example!

To illustrate, a few weeks ago we asked the park wardens in Seronera where the new Acacia camp is. Incredibly they had no idea! And the camp was just a few miles away - I found it myself!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:44 AM
bat

I am hoping for 3 of those 4 MMMs--magical migration moments (grumetti river not possible). Sometimes I imagine that we will be lucky enough to be surrounded by the migration but the female wildebeests will not be calving yet and so we will be surrounded by half a million full-term pregnant wildebeests grunting loudly "get this calf out of me"!
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Eben, U are really lucky, u go to serengeti every month??? Please let me know which outfitter can give me place for moru camping??? Also during february
if I am staying for 6-7 nights serengeti,where(area) and which lodges should I be at to defintely see the migrartion. I was actually contemplating between antarctica and africa this february,talking with u BAT and Eben I am definately coming to africa. Have u been to Antarctica??? I been to a couple of websites and it looks gorgeous. I was in svalbard(norwegian arctic) this june. Saw many polar bears.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 07:08 AM

sonali,
I think Kavey, who posts on this forum, has been to Antarctica.

But it sounds like you've been able to find space for Serengeti this Feb., so maybe you'll have to put Antarctica on hold...
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 09:03 AM
bat

sonali:
I am not sure Eben will have any more information than he has given you until after he returns from his late December trip. If you want to go this Feb you should probably grab the EMC days and then try to find 2 other locations within the "square" Eben outlined--ie Kusini--Ndutu--Piaya--Seronera.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys, Ya antarctica is definately on hold. I was actually planning africa and then argentina to antartica. Cannot find a reasonable air deal. Do u know of some site or airline which from india gives fares to argentina with stop in nairobi or kilimanjaro?? tried a few sites but could not get any reasonable fare.Sonali.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:33 AM
sandi

sonali -

Have you considered a RTW (Round the World) ticket?

You may want to do a search on this board... there may be some info. Otherwise, search the other boards - Europe, Asia and Australia specifically; definitely the Airline board. Also, check the flyertalk message boards... they seem to have a wealth of information.

If all else fails, Patty should be landing any minute (returning from Kenya/Tanzania) and may be able to direct you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -