Namibia Trip Help, Ideas, Etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are independent travelers but looking to visit Namibia for the first time (late 40s). We are considering October -- is the weather and game viewing good then? Also we have done 3 safari camps in South Africa/Botswana so our main interest is the sanddunes, skeleton coast,whatever is unique, etc. We are open to driving but possibly combining this with a flight or two since our trip time may be limited. Beyond Windhoek, Sossusvlei, Swakopmund & Etosha --any other areas to consider. Suggestions for local operator who could help us arrange hotel, cars, camps, etc. Thanks for all your help -- the Fodor forum is great!
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:45 PM
johan_belgium

Gameviewing must be good because everything is very dry at that moment and animals rely on the waterholes.
It will also be very dusty.

Best thing to do in Etosha is just sitting at a waterhole and watch the animals coming to drink.

I would recommend to go to Palmwag rhino camp. You can do some black rhino tracking on foot, which is in my opinion not a thing to be missed when in Namibia (more info on the following website: http://www.wilderness-safaris.com)

I don't know (or is it "think&quot if October is the best time of year if you main focus will be on the sand dunes. I was there once in early November and we had very fine weather the first day at Sossusvlei but when we left two days later the wind was seriously blowing ... and the next couple of days it was overcasted.
I guess you have to be lucky sometimes.

Skeleton coast like you mentioned is also a must.

Some parts of Namibia can be easily done on self drive but other parts (f.e. up to Opuwo/Epupa falls/Hartmann's valley)I wouldn't recommend to drive by yourself .

I also would say to drive always on convoy in case something happens. Some people would disagree maybe ... but my motto is "better be save than sorry".

Greetings,

Johan

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:51 PM

kacollier,

Although this is not in the areas you are visiting, another Namibia consideration should be these luxury lodges in the Caprivi Strip. This area would be a wonderful contrast to the other areas you plan to visit. Here is more information on the Caprivi Strip:

http://www.islandsinafrica.com/caprivi.htm

Susuwe Island Lodge is located close to the Kwando Lagoon/Lebala properties and should offer strong gameviewing, while Impalia Island Lodge and Ntwala Island Lodge are about 50 miles from Victoria Falls and will offer strong birding, tiger fishing and river safaris, as well as day trips to Victoria Falls, if desired.

The website for these lodges is www.islandsinafrica.com but I don't think the website does these places justice, at least not when compared to the beautiful brochure.

Good luck.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Fil

Usually I visit Namibia by my own...
But twice (2000 & 2003) I choose Africa Extravaganza, and I think they are quite good.
I visited Namibia in January and I saw lotīs of people with Extravaganza.

Usually we drive. So, it takes longer to travel from A to B.If you consider fly in, you can visit Soussuslvei (south) and also Serra Cafema (north) or Lianshulo (Caprivi). If you can afford fly in, may be you can contact - Wilderness Safaris Namibia - they have fantastics lodges in Namibia, and I think they also can arrange for Flights

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:31 AM

I did a similar trip in August 2002. I spent a day in Windhoek, then drove to Etosha for four nights (including Ongava, the private reserve next to Etosha). After driving back to Windhoek, I flew to Sossosvlei.

I booked my trip with the Cardboard Box in Windhoek.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:55 AM
santharamhari

Rocco,

I read your bit about the caprivi strip.....on my recent trip to Kwando, i did talk to ppl at Lagoon camp and they didnt have too much to say about the caprivi strip. Infact, there is a lot of farming there...and recently some members of the lagoon pride were shot and killed. According to jonah in lagoon, after that incident the pride hardly ever returns there.....