Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   How to handle digital files (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/how-to-handle-digital-files-733705/)

star55 Sep 3rd, 2007 04:05 AM

How to handle digital files

Hi y'all,

I've had my digital camera (Nikon D80) since April. My hopefully-upcoming safari will be first time I could potentially fill up five 2mb memory cards and need to download the files and reformat the cards. What are other photographers doing about this? I know some use a portable hard drive, but it makes me nervous to be transferring files when I can't actually see the transfer and read the hard drive. On the other hand, I don't want to be lugging around a laptop.

Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

sniktawk Sep 3rd, 2007 05:00 AM

If you wish to download from your cards and view your images, I would suggest a Jobo GigaVu Pro.You see the transfer process and can view everything you have transferred. These come in varied sizes of hard disks so you can store thousands of images. This gives you the chance to keep everything until you get home and can review everything properly.

OnlyMeOirish Sep 3rd, 2007 05:41 AM

Hi star,

I had the same dilema coming up to our safari last year. After much deliberation I decided to purchase an Epson P2000. I have to say this was a fantastic decision as it is VERY easy to use AND you can see that everything has been downloaded.

Imelda

Cdnfolks Sep 3rd, 2007 05:55 AM

I agree. The Epson is VERY easy to use and much more compact than a lap top. We will be downloading to ours daily.

Kavey Sep 3rd, 2007 07:24 AM

We too (hub and I) go the portable storage device route.

Unlike some, we haven't gone for a model with viewing screen (mainly because when we bought our first PSD these were exhorbitantly priced but also because their battery life is, understandably, less).

What we do is always take two and empty every CF card onto BOTH PSDs. I just prefer to have all images in more than one place just incase of data corruption, damage to a device etc.

GrannyJoan Sep 3rd, 2007 08:38 AM

We use an 60 GB video iPod with cable connecting to camera to download our photos while on trips. We have also used a Mac laptop on occassion. But the iPod is less to lug around.

- Granny Joan

hills27 Sep 3rd, 2007 08:42 AM

I used a Hyperdrive Space as my primary backup and an ipod as my secondary. The ipod takes a while and the battery gets drained, but I would set it to go while I was at dinner and then recharge the battery while I slept. But the ipod is only a workable solution if you are staying in lodges with 24/7 power.

safarichuck Sep 3rd, 2007 09:14 AM

star55,
Your question has served as a topic for endless discussion on a variety of photographic forums. A review of these dedicated threads will reveal that there is no agreement on the single best way or best device to back up images from a flash memory card. The weight limitations imposed in safari photography make laptop/hardisk and CD storage difficult. There is a specialized type of storage device referred to as a PSD (personal storage device) that will store your files. There are two (2) kinds of PSD, 1) with viewing screen and 2) without viewing screen. The IPod works but is far less popular with serious photographers, for a number of good reasons. Of the PSD's with a screen, the most popular among photographers is the Epson, the newest versions are the Epson P3000 and P5000, identical except for their hard disk capacity. The Jobo GigaVu Pro is far less popular here in the U.S., owing in part to the earlier models lack of reliability. The selection of non-screen models is much larger and while they are significantly less expensive, one never feels secure that the files have actually transferred. If you are concerned about the security of your images it is best to buy enough flash memory so that you will not have to erase and reformat any cards. Instead, transfer all of your images at the endo of each day to a device such as an Epson (P3000 or P5000), place that device in a safe or other secure spot in your tent, and carry all of your cards with you. That way you will have two copies of everything, each in a different place. Flash memory prices (compact flash and SD memory cards) have fallen from several hundred dollars per 1GB to $10 or less/GB in recent months. Even without a viewing screen you could keep your images secure but you would have no way of determining how good your photographic technique was without some large screen analysis better than what most cameras allow. In the end your pocket book will determine how much of this you are willing to buy into. The least expensive solution is to simply add more memory and judge the images on the Nikon's own screen. A new laptop is on the way that uses flash memory instead of the hard disk media for storage. When this new device becomes available it will permit still another option for safari photographers, allowing a decent 10 or 11 inch screen and the ability to do some basic photoediting in the field.
Regards-Chuck

atravelynn Sep 3rd, 2007 09:30 AM

Here's a word from someone who prefers to travel light and keep my nose out of the electronics while out in the wilderness.

I make sure I bring enough memory and don't do any downloading until I get home. I don't bring any extra equipment for downloading. If a camp offers a service to put the images on CD, I take advantage of it. During relaxation time or at night I will take a look at my shots and delete the obvious duds, making more room. But I err on the side of keeping the photo.

When you say you could fill up 5 2MB cards, I am guessing you mean 5 2GB cards. Unless you are doing a good deal of video clips, I bet you won't use up more than 6 GB. On my last trip with 12 days of photo safari activity I used under 5 GB. I did lots of continuous shots of interesting things so I'd take 50 shots in a few minutes sometimes. But I took no video.

The disadvantage of my method is that you have no backup along the way. That has never been a problem for me. I do take and use more than one camera, though.

When is that hopefully upcoming safari hopefully going to happen and where are you going?

safarichuck Sep 3rd, 2007 09:59 AM

star55,
Your post indicates that you have had your Nikon only about 4 months. Perhaps you have already graduated to using the RAW type of file format but I suspect you are shooting high quality JPEG files on your D80. The D80 has a 10 MPIX sensor and each file will be approximately 5 MB. That means that if you shoot JPEG you will get about 400 images/GB or 2,000 images on your current compact flash storage. I returned home from our last 3 week safari with over 12,000 images. I have never taken fewer than 2,500 images per week. Granted I an enthusiastic photographer but when an opportunity arises it is better to not worry about memory economy. Just my cents of course, your mileage may vary.
Regards-Chuck

hills27 Sep 3rd, 2007 10:37 AM

Lynn, you used less than 5G? Between the two of us, my mom and I have 32G!

safarichuck Sep 3rd, 2007 11:15 AM

Quick correction: I meant you will get about 400 images/2GB card.
Chuck

andybiggs Sep 3rd, 2007 01:44 PM

well put, Chuck.

cheetahs Sep 3rd, 2007 02:51 PM

star55,

After investing in two different photo storage devices with viewing screens (and having them fail on us), I decided to spring for an ultra-small laptop (Sony) that weighs less than 2 pounds. This allows me to upload, view, and edit my photos (if I so desire) and provides the additional benefit of keeping up on e-mail (when there's an internet connection) while on safari, thereby enabling me to keep in touch with my clients. In addition I create another copy of my photo files by downloading them to a pocket-sized external 120GB hard drive.
Good luck!
Grace

star55 Sep 3rd, 2007 04:13 PM

Hi y'all,

Thanks for all the information.

Yes, I meant to say five 2GB cards. I shoot RAW + JPEG basic, so I get 151 images per card. (The JPEG basic is handy for online slideshows and doing without it would only buy me another 10 images per card.)

I do delete some images in camera, but I've learned to be careful about that as even with the D80's nice monitor, I can't always see the image the way it should be seen.

I guess even if I were to buy lots more memory cards, I'd still want some backup mechanism. I'll take a look at everyone's suggestions on the PSDs - I love the idea of being able to see what I'm downloading!

The hopefully upcoming safari is October to Tsavo, Amboseli, Serengeti and Tarangire (not necessarily in that order).

Again, thanks everyone.

hills27 Sep 3rd, 2007 04:36 PM

I think you'll find you'll shoot way more on safari than you've ever shot before. I shot around 100/day in Peru and 300/day in South Africa.

africaddict Sep 3rd, 2007 04:37 PM

I can definitely vouch for the Jobo GigaView Pro Evolution and will be taking this 80GB model with me in 3 days time for our 17 nights in Zambia (SLNP). There are NO reliability problems with the Evo models and have the fastest transfer rates
(with RAW of course) of ANY of the PSD's currently on the market.
Just my 2c ;-)
Cheers
Marc

GeoffG Sep 3rd, 2007 09:40 PM

I agree with Lynn,

I do exactly what she does. travel light, all your CF cards will fit in your pocket.

Just take enough CF cards (say 6 x 2 GB) and worry about downloading once you're home.

Whilst everyone is mucking around downloading you can enjoy the environment that you have paid so much money to be in.

Geoff.

HariS Sep 3rd, 2007 09:50 PM

I agree with Geoff .....

i download at home too on return. I do carry one or two extra memory cards, for just in case the gameviewing is above and beyond HAPPENING!!!

No point carrying extra equipment like laptops etc etc., as you have luggage restrictions and the like .....

sniktawk Sep 3rd, 2007 10:35 PM

Weight is definitely the key. That's why I prefer a downloader (Jobo Gigavu Pro Evolution)to a laptop.
I also carry lots of cards, if you are shooting in RAW cards do not go far.
It's your choice, cards have the benefit of not needing charging but are quite expensive and also have reliability problems.