Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   How to get to the Egyptian Antiquities Museum from the Nile Hilton (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/how-to-get-to-the-egyptian-antiquities-museum-from-the-nile-hilton-826601/)

JackGlasser Feb 15th, 2010 04:44 AM

How to get to the Egyptian Antiquities Museum from the Nile Hilton

on some blogs it sounds it is near impossible to walk from the nile hilton to the antiquities museum which is only a block away. I was to go (an extra time) while on tour the day I arrive in the early to mid afternoon. Is it so difficult to walk around the corner. Please advise. thank you.

Grcxx3 Feb 15th, 2010 06:16 AM

Not having read the blogs, not sure what they are really talking about.

But my gut feel is that it has to do with Cairo traffic (which makes crossing the street a real adventure). Or......there could be construction going on makes access to the museum difficult. We walked from the museum to the Hilton years ago - had to dodge some construction, but it was not big deal.

Casual_Cairo might be able to assist with details.

sandi Feb 15th, 2010 09:30 AM

Yeh, even though only across the street, it's probably the busiest intersection in Cairo. Traffic is a horror and few adhere to rules/regs, let alone lights or even the police directing. But certainly no reason not to give it a shot.

For crossing the street... stand awhile and watch. You'll notice that old people just put themselves into the middle of it and head across. That's your cue... grab hold of an older persons arm or galabeya (long gown) and move with them.... you'll arrive safely at your destination. They've figured it out and lived long enough to reach their golden years... go for it! :) We did!

Don't let those blogs put you off. It's part of the adventure of Cairo!

Casual_Cairo Feb 15th, 2010 10:47 AM

You must be talking about the RAMSES Hilton, not the Nile Hilton. The Nile Hilton is NO MORE. And it was NEVER hard to get to the Museum from the Nile Hilton - it was a walk out through the back door and down the street - no traffic to speak of back there.

The Ramses Hilton is more difficult. Take a taxi if traffic scares you, or do the crossing on Friday morning.

Grcxx3 Feb 15th, 2010 11:33 AM

Oh - I was definitely thinking of the Nile Hilton! That was an easy walk (except for dodging the construction).

sandi Feb 15th, 2010 01:07 PM

Oh, oh - me too, same error. :) Nile vs Ramses Hilton. Thanks Debbie for correcting.

Grcxx3 Feb 15th, 2010 01:13 PM

sandi - does this mean Percy won't buy us drinks anymore????? :(

JackGlasser - take Debbie's advice and take a taxi! Keeping in mind, of course, that even a simple taxi ride in Cairo can be quite an adventure!!!!

JackGlasser Feb 16th, 2010 09:38 AM

thanks

davecutter73 Feb 26th, 2010 08:15 AM

We have stopped at the Hilton and still recomend hire a guide and car. Cairo is so busy and you will be looked after whilst having a visit. I recommend a guide you can email him and arrange it before you go [email protected] Happy travelling.

true_love_2005 Mar 15th, 2010 06:01 AM

hello paragshah

how can i contact you ?

Percy Jul 28th, 2010 06:10 PM

I am reading this post late. Came across it by a fluke !

No !! I am still buying the drinks but Gee whiz!!!! How could you ladies get the Nile Hilton and Ramsey Hilton mixed up!! :)

Grcxx3 Jul 28th, 2010 06:24 PM

<<How could you ladies get the Nile Hilton and Ramsey Hilton mixed up!! :)>>

Too many drinks????? ;)

Percy Jul 28th, 2010 07:05 PM

Grcxx3

Your bad !!! ((B)) ((D)) :)

Casual_Cairo Jul 29th, 2010 01:59 AM

I'm glad this old string was only brought up to the front to talk about drinking. What fun and I haven't been doing nearly enough of it lately.

See you all at the pub soon! ((B)) ((D)) :D