How to get from Jerusalem to Eilat & other stuff

Dec 16th, 1998, 08:02 AM
ellen

How to get from Jerusalem to Eilat & other stuff

Trying to come up with a plan. The questions:

How do we get from Jerusalem to Eilat, and from Eilat to Tel Aviv? How long does it take and how much does it cost?

Are we better off going to Petra on a day trip from Jerusalem or Eilat?

Is Jericho a worthwhile stop, or is time better spent in Tiberis or Haifa?

Is late November into the beginning of December the rainy season? Should we skip Eilat because of that?

Thank you one and all, and Happy Chanukah!

Dec 18th, 1998, 01:52 PM
Bob Walker

We are going to Jordan and Israel in late January and have had all our questions answered on the Lonely Planet website. Go to the "Thorn Tree" forum and then choose Middle East.

Dec 22nd, 1998, 05:55 AM
Chris

Went to Israel in September of 1997. Drive from Tel Aviv to Eilat is pretty amazing. Goes through a wonderfully beautiful section of the Negev desert and takes about 4 hours as I recall. Be careful driving in Israel though.

Going to Petra will cost you about $200 per person for a day trip if you take a side excursion from Eilat. That's because Jordan charges Americans $50-60 for a visa. Worth the trip though.

I highly recommend visiting Masada on the Dead Sea. Take a swim if you have time too. It's like no other water on earth.

Jan 2nd, 1999, 07:06 AM
Koen

You can find all answers on my site at www.1000traveltips.org but I'll try to summarize it for you.
Jeruzalem-Eilat or Tel aviv - Eilat: frequent buses, 4h30 min, price look at my site, don't know it by heart. Other option take the plane, price look at website.

Better to go from Eilat to Petra, because from Jerusalem there's no visa issued at the border. Price of a 1 day tour is now about 250 US$, better to take it easy and spend 1 or 2 nights in Jordan.

Eilat will has good wheather 360 days per year, so definitely no reason to call it of because of the wheather.

www.1000traveltips.org

Jan 7th, 1999, 08:51 PM
SUE

Egged Tours has 1 day tours to Eilat ($60-one way I think); 2 days from $228. They leave from Jerusalem. They also offer daily and weekly tours from Jerusalem & Tel Aviv. I found them to be very reasonable for the money.

Search this Thread