How to book safari?

Jan 14th, 2001, 03:41 AM
How to book safari?

We are thinking about safari to Kenya and Tanzania. My husband and I travel abroad frequently and always make our own arrangements but I feel that for this trip we should hire an experience travel agent. There are so many of them on Internet. How did you find one? How did you know this is the one? Do they accept credit cards? We are plnning on two weeks and spending around US $7,000 for both of us excluding flights from the US. We would like to stay in the small tented camps with showers and bathrooms. What areas in Kenya and Tanzania must be included in any itineraries? Any specific tented camps that are worthy to stay in? Is is possible to find a great safari operator without spending so much more $$ with A&K?
Jan 15th, 2001, 10:48 AM
You are right in saying there is a bewildering choice of Operators.
In Kenya and Tanzania it appears that anyone and his dog can set up as a Tour Operator.
One hears scary tales of arriving at Camps only to find they have not been paid or that the Guide doesn't have sufficient money for petrol or Park Fees, despite the fact that you have paid upfront.
Go for well established Operators who know what they are doing.
When we have clients wishing to go to these areas we use Chronicle Tours & Safaris in Nairobi, The United Touring Company (UTc)and Multi Choice Safaris in Arusha.
We have never had a problem with any of them - on the contrary guest have been very satisfied.
Good hunting!
Feb 1st, 2001, 09:31 AM
caroline s
Talk with Jayne Ngatia at Bunson Travel in Nairobi ([email protected]). We had very similar goals to yours in planning a 5 week+ independent travel vacation to Kenya and Jayne came through ACES on everything - sites to visit, lodgings, prices! In fact, the price of our long safari was less than what most operators we contacted (and we contacted hundreds) quoted for a 2-week stint. What's more, as we traveled around to all sorts of locations, Jayne's name and Bunson's name were well received and regarded in all of the sites/lodgings we stayed. Our adventure went off without a hitch! I'll never go back to Kenya without working though Jayne (PS planning to return Dec. 2001 to visit sites in the shaow of Kilimanjaro which I didn't have a chance to see last time: Tsavo, Amboseli, the Mara (again) - let me know if you have any interest in joining our very small group of 6 or less for this trip). Good luck with your planning and Safiri salama!

Search this Thread