How safe is Zimbabwe?

Jun 22nd, 1999, 09:12 PM
jacquie

How safe is Zimbabwe?

My husband and I are planning a trip around the world and would like to include a safari somwhere in Africa. From what I've read on this forum Zim sounds good, but we're not sure how safe it is. Is there somewhere better suited to first time travellers to Africa? We will be on a fairly tight budget, if that's of any relevance.

Thanks.

Jul 5th, 1999, 11:24 AM
Milton Khachana

Yes, Zimbabwe is safe. However, since its your first time to visit Africa and your budget is tight, I would suggest you visit the northen part of Zimbabwe. There, you will be able to do four african countries at a price of one: namely, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, and Namibia. To be able to do this, you might consider using independent local/native tour guides. I know a few local Guides who can arrange a flexible tour for you. If you are interested, don't hesitate to contact me.(I am from Botswana and I'm attending school here, USA)

Jul 5th, 1999, 05:19 PM
jacquie

Thanks Milton for your response. Why would it be better to do four countries rather than just concentrating on Zim ? I must admit I haven't done any research on those countries you've mentioned, but will look into them. Yes, I would be interested in organising a flexible tour. If you could help, that would be fantastic.

Jul 6th, 1999, 11:37 AM
Milton Khachana

My thinking was that you want to see the wildlife hub of Southern Africa. This and the Eastern Africa hub (Kenya,Tanzania,Uganda,and Democratic Republic of Congo) I would say,are the largest continuous vastlands/habitats for the great African wildlife remaining to date. However, not only is the southern Africa hub a great wildlife haven, it is also the less trampled, still pristine, and accessible wilderness; a trade mark of Africa of yester-years. Unfortunately/Fortunately, this region does not belong to one country, but straddles across Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana, and Namibia.
However, if wildlife is not your main reason for travel, say if you are interested in a culture of a specific people (zimbabwen), then you can disregard my opinions and look for a Zimbabwean operator that specializes in such. Zimbabwe is rich in culture and is home to one of the United Nations recognized and conserved World heritage site, the Great Zimbabwe ruins.
Otherwise, for a rewarding and fulfilling Safari experience, I will suggest you do all the countries above. And since I am from Botswana, I can only suggest to you tour operators that I trully know and 'am comfortable with (guides who can be flexible to your needs because they appreciate your money and on the other hand, because they are still greatly influenced by the true African hospitality. Something you can readily access and experience from this type of subsistance tour operators. This is not to say that they are not professionals, but that they have more access to the rural communities and will expose you to their lifestyle than would big safari operators). If you are still interested in doing all this countries, let me know and I will get you a contact.

Jul 6th, 1999, 08:13 PM
jacquie

Milton, thanks for your insight - you obviously know what you're talking about! You're right, my interest is in the wildlife. I've done a little preliminary research on those countries and it sounds great. I would appreciate contact(s) for doing such a flexible tour.

Thanks for your help. It's really appreciated.

Jul 7th, 1999, 11:22 AM
Corinna

hi there

Sounds like a great trip that you are planning. South Africa is great, especially if you are interested on experiencing a "real" safari and connecting flights from here to anywhere else in the world are great. Have a look at our website: outlookafrica.co.za for more info. Hopefully it will give you enough info to plan you trip.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards from a sunny South Africa.

PS Zim is great and we could combine it with SA and Mozambique which is stunning and still untouched.
Corinna

Jul 7th, 1999, 02:12 PM
Milton Khachana

I will suggest you contact the following safari operators:

1.Pula Tours and Safaris
Tel: (267)650669
Fax: (267)651220 or 651214

2.Thebe River Safaris
Tel: (267)650314
Fax: (267)650314

Search this Thread