How's the NEW King's Pool?

Sep 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

How's the NEW King's Pool?

Our tour operator is recommending King's Pool in September because Mombo is booked. I've just realized that King's Pool has been renovated - but many of the photos online are of the OLD King's Pool.

Has anyone been to the new King's Pool? How is the game, service, food, accomodations?

Our itinerary would look like this:
Jao (2)
King's Pool (2)
Singita Ebony (3)
Plus a night or 2 in Joburg

Thanks!!!!!
Sep 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Ericka

It probably depends a lot on why you were looking at Mombo in the first place (as opposed to other camps in Botswana).

If it was for the renowned game viewing opportunities, did you have any particular animals you were hoping to see or any strong desire to include Moremi on the itinerary? If you did then King's Pool would probably not be a good alternative as it's so far away. The environment is somewhat different and so is game viewing. That said game viewing in the King Pool area is said to be good. We were reasonably close to KP when we stayed in Savuti and actually drove almost all the way to KP when following a tip off about the wild dogs. Wonderful sighting by the way. But if you had wanted a Delta camp then perhaps instead of KP you might look at Tubu Tree. It's not on Moremi but it is in the Delta. Now Tubu is not one of Wilderness Safari's 6 paw camps and certainly doesn't have the designer style of Jao and Mombo. However, the tents are not the same as the 5 paw ones in all the other camps we've experienced. They are significantly larger inside (though still one space, not separate living area, bedroom area etc). Game viewing is excellent. This may be a good alternative dependng on what you want?

If your picks were solely down to luxury of the camps (i.e. you went for the 6 paw camps rather than 5 paws) then you probably won't be interested even in Tubu and might be happier at KP.

Incidentally, I believe the number of beds at KP has been reduced recently to compensate for the 2 extra tents added to Savuti.
Sep 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Ericka: We stayed at King's Pool in June 2003 and loved it. Maybe it was because KP was our first camp in Botswana, but it definitely was a favorite (also stayed at Jao and Little Mombo). Wildlife sightings at KP were plentiful and actually more diverse than the other camps. The camp is lovely, the food wonderful, and the staff excellent (we had the best guide of our 2 week safari at KP). I believe KP had just reopened after upgrading and renovating, when we stayed there. They were still working out a few kinks, but we didn't notice it one bit! We have photos of the new KP accommodations and wildlife sightings at our website - www.pbase.com/deseml.

But to be fair, KP is not Mombo. Like most of the others who have been to and love Mombo, we did see more big cats there. However, the wild dogs were at KP, not Mombo.
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:07 PM
DJE

Ericka,

I agree with ovenbirds assessment of KP. We were there in July '03 and it was a good experience. The staff were wonderful and no complaints with the food. The individual tent/bungalows are very luxurious and spacious, even more upscale than at Mombo, where we also stayed.

The setting is different from M, however there was good game viewing and they also had 2 hides in which to observe animals at the water holes. The area right in front of the camp is a lovely waterway where there were hippos lounging around all day. Each morning we were awakened by the fabulous sounds from the multitude of birds in the nearby trees. We saw quite a variety of animals including a number of leopard. At this camp we were allowed to do a guided bush walk as well as the game drives and they also did night drives. We were not able to do this at Mombo.

Each camp was special and unique in its own right and both were very enjoyable and offered a wonderful safari experience with lots of wildlife. I did find the setting at Mombo a little more spectacular imo but either camp would be a good choice.
Sep 26th, 2004, 09:08 PM

If Mombo is booked and you want to stay on Chief's Island, stay at Chief's Camp! Same animals, lovely camp. I stayed at the old King's Pool, and though the hippos are wonderful, we didn't see much else. Remember it's pure luck anyway. There is no reason to stay at ALL WS camps.
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:29 AM

DJE and Ovenbird

The wild dogs we saw were a pack of 16 strong and the alpha was very heavily pregnant and clearly close to giving birth.

The guides said they have a large territory but that guests from either KP or Savuti are often lucky with sightings depending on which den site they happen to be using at the time...
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Lots of great advice, everyone. Thanks!
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:06 AM
HappyTravels

Right now, you'll have a better chance to see wild dogs at DumaTau than at Savuti ... status two weeks ago.

If KP is not a great alternative to Mombo, can anyone suggest which camp might be? I'm making plans for Botswana, and having been at Mombo twice in recent years, want to try a new place. Suggestions?

Sep 27th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Happy
Seems to be that the best alternative to Mombo depends on which factors are of most importance?
*Standard of accommodation
*Types of animals most commonly seen
?
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:00 AM
HappyTravels

Kavery, would prefer to keep it at the 5 paw level, and see the variety oif animals we see at Mombo. Some have suggested Little Vumbra or the new one. Some DumaTau. Any suggestions?

Sep 27th, 2004, 10:19 AM

We really really enjoyed the Tubu Tree experience. Very very warm staff, excellent guides (we were with grant but from what we heard the other guide, Mo, was equally good) and wonderful game viewing (leopards mating, can you imagine?).

Savuti you already know.

For a water camp we loved LV the first time and adored Jacana this time BUT Jacana is (at the time of year we go) a true water camp. It's magical but some people we met found water activities boring after a day. We didn't, obviously.

If you haven't been to Jack's I'd put that at THE TOP of your list. THE TOP.
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM

for those of you who have been to king's pool, has anyone been there during december/january? i am going this year for christmas and just wanted to see what the game viewing would be like during that time. thanks!

Search this Thread