Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   How much money will two people need for 2 week trip to Egypt? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/how-much-money-will-two-people-need-for-2-week-trip-to-egypt-872478/)

awesleyjr Jan 7th, 2011 08:53 PM

How much money will two people need for 2 week trip to Egypt?

I am going on my honeymoon through a tour company. We will be in Cairo (Sheraton Cairo) for two nights and then on a Nile River cruise for 7 nights. Then we will go back to Cairo for 2 nights and then on the Sharm el Sheik for 3 nights. So all in all we will be there for 14 days. Most of the meals are paid for already and we have paid for several tours and excursions.

Help??? Just need to know how much money we should plan to take ...

ALSO*** Can someone provide me with a sample packing list? Thanks

Thanks

Axel2DP Jan 7th, 2011 09:30 PM

I would carry 100 USD with me for emergency money but otherwise just use the ATM in Egypt to withdraw cash whenever you need it.

cary999 Jan 7th, 2011 09:53 PM

Every time you use the ATM, even if your debit card (not credit card), you get charged what - $5 for using it? So I wouldn't use it for every time you need $20. I'd take $300, in clean crisp $20 bills. And another $40 in $1 bills. And use ATM when that is mostly gone. I hate having to keep track of exactly every dollar when on vacation! ASSUMING you are from USA? Well, even if you're not, take Dollars anyway :)

regards - tom

qwovadis Jan 8th, 2011 04:18 AM

contiki.com/contikipedia/articles/suggested-packing-list-egypt

www.mdtravelhealth.com for medical first aid kit

Bring my www.capitalone.com no Foreign Fee Visa

and ATM local money carry small USD $10 $20 in my money belt.

$25 per day for incidentals andshopping works fine for me.

Trip insurance always wise cheap www.insuremytrip.com

Has saved my bacon a number of times.

Happy Journey,

sandi Jan 8th, 2011 08:13 AM

Can't say what to pack as you don't say when you're traveling. If in the summer months - May-Sep - expect daytime temps to be hot hot hot. Evenings do cool somewhat, but don't expect much lower than daytime. Other times of year, daytime temps are more comfortable and evening can be cooler.

Temps in Cairo (lower Egypt) will be cooler then when on cruise down south (upper Egypt) in areas of Luxor/Aswan where temps year-round can be in the 90s and even higher!

Best to have loose fitting attire, skirts, shirts, crop pants; shorts and swimsuits should only be worn on your cruise boat and when at Sharm, not on the streets where attire should be respectfull of the community. And, NO NO shorts for men.

Wide brimmed hat to protect from brutal sun, always have bottled water with, SPF on any exposed skin. Comfortable shoes for touring, as streets are uneven, dirty and sandy, why closed better than sandals (or even heels). "Nice casual" attire is good for dinner in Cairo and/or cruise, but not necessary to "dress-up."

The Egyptian government sets the exchange rates so it's the same whether you use an ATM, exchange at hotel currency window or bank. If your home bank assesses a fee for foreign ATM withdrawal (most all do), then withdraw what you feel would be needed for a few days or even entire trip, rather than hitting the "hole in the wall" daily... using your ATM card (never credit card as finance charges start immediately upon withdrawal). USD work well, so having lots of USD$1 are good; even work for purchases and meals; credit cards can be used to large purchases or hotel meals, but remember if using a US credit card, there is the 3% foreign currency exchange fee... amount to pennies, but another fee to be aware.

Enjoy and best wishes on your wedding.

Jam Jan 8th, 2011 03:28 PM

Sandi, what did you use for USD since our money is stronger than the EP? Thanks for posting info on exchange rates being controlled by Egyptian government. Is Egypt a cash based society or do they take US credit cards readily?

Grcxx3 Jan 8th, 2011 03:51 PM

I personally avoided USD for regular purchases unless desperate because I found the exchange rate at shops to be "not" in my favor, but they can come in handy for tips. However, keep in mind that $1 is about 5 EGP, and "most" tips are less than 5 EGP.

Best bet is to have some cash on hand to exchange upon arrival, and then use ATM machines to get cash as you need it. Credit cards are fine at hotels, most restaurants, and some larger shops.

Also remember that US coins are worthless.

cary999 Jan 8th, 2011 10:02 PM

"Bring my www.capitalone.com no Foreign Fee Visa"

Is this a credit card? May be no withdrawal "Foreign Fee" but what is the % interest that will accrue beginning immediately on -cash- taken out? 20-30% ? You got to look at each credit card and debit card to figure out which one is better for getting cash. On the other hand, is a $30 total cost difference really meaningful to you, all thing considered?

regards - tom

MissGreen Jan 9th, 2011 02:39 AM

I bought about 700 US cash with me and changed it at the airport - which hardly lasted long, even though I was using a credit card to pay for meals and hotel incidentals. I was continually going to the ATM and drawing out the maxium (3000 EGP) so even though things were cheap, you find when you're on holidays that things add up. I would say you'd need more money than you think, or perhaps thats me... when I spend in a foreign currency it always feels like monopoloy money.

I would also anticipate in case of not being able to use ATM card. My husband and I had 3 cards that were available for use and only 1 worked. We were in a camera store in Cairo and neither of our credit cards would work there also. Such a shame that the store missed out on the sale.

sandi Jan 9th, 2011 06:30 AM

You NEVER use a credit card to withdraw money anywhere as finance charges accrue immediately. You use an ATM/debit card for walk-around cash and instead of doing so daily, withdraw what you feel you'll need for a few days or week. Or as we did, just used the hotels currency window to exchange USD to EP.

We used credit cards only for large souvenir purchases or meals; otherwise it was local EP or USD.

Only you can determine your expected spending during your holiday - souvenirs, tips, meals, drinks, etc.