Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How many pieces of checked luggage and snacks question?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched for a suggestion - have found info on wheeled and carry on duffle bags, etc. but have another similar question. We leave in 9 days and have started to seriously look at what we are taking. The camera/binocular gear with charges, tickets and other paperwork, and a change of clothes plus some "can't do without" incidentals (medicine, liquids, underwear, etc.) fill two small carry on duffel bags because of the weight limit on the airlines (13 lbs). We were hoping to do with only one small wheeled checked luggage but don't think that is enough so probably have to go with TWO small checked bags (between us). We will be in Kenya and Tanzania and our safari will be in jeeps only (unfortunately with 4 other passengers). Will 2 small duffel bags and 2 small pieces of wheeled luggage be too much to take as in fitting in the jeeps? The checked wheeled luggage would (in all other airlines) be considered "carry-on" size and not huge.
Also - are you now allowed to take on board non-liquid snacks from home, i.e., store packaged crackers, candy, etc.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:56 AM

There are 3/rows of seats in the vehicles, the rear usually being a bench seat vs. individual bucket sets in the other two rows. With 6 paxs, you maybe all be taking all seats available.

Luggage is usually stowed behind he last row being piled on top of one another (your checked and carryon bags), so with 6/paxs total, will be tight.

If you can arrange for 1/pax to sit up front next to driver, then you may have space on part of the rear bench seat for overflow bags.

... and, of course, you don't know how much luggage the others in the vehicle will have.

If you are your "own" group, you may inquire of your tour outfitter if they have a larger "stretch-type" vehicle which would allow for additional space.
For that matter, if the others are strangers... I'd still inquire. Some outfitters have these larger vehicles in their inventory. Check this for both countries. No harm in every asking.

Prepacked nibbles... as long as these are non-liquid, shouldn't be a problem. On recent trip, was never asked about anything but liquids.

It's a hoot watching all paxs placing those 1/qt baggies with "essentials" on the security belts. Such busy work! Ugh! We live in a world of baggies inside and outside... amazing!
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for such a quick answer Sandi --- one more question --- how much room at one's foot is there in the jeep? Will I be able to keep my small duffel bag with my camera stuff in it with me or will there only be room for my camera and binocular around my neck, etc. I think it's about 20 x 10 x10.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:08 AM

There is "usually" sufficient space at your feet for a small camera/hand/duffle, but 20"L and 10"H and D, seems large. There's always a chance you or someone else can trip or step on this.

Passengers in open top vehicles, often stand during drives and for photo taking... and move around.

Of course, you'll have to see exactly how your vehicle is designed and the space available. Then it's your choice where to sit, if you can keep this rather large bag with you. And, be responsible for any damage or inquiry of yourself or another if someone trip or injurs themself.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:53 AM

20x10x10 sounds too big to fit in the space in front of your feet to me.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

ok --- the duffel bag seems really small (especially when I was trying to get a bunch of stuff in it to carry on) but I guess I might have to plan on something else ---- how do people who have really big cameras and extra lenses manage to have it all by their side? I can always turn it on end and stick it by my feet or place it on the seat when I am standing ?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the answers but I am still confused --- No one has told me how you get all the stuff that is on "the list" into carry on duffel bags when the weight limit on the airlines (virgin Atlantic and Kenya Airways) is 13 lbs (at least one of them). We are taking a carry on duffel each and were trying to get everything else into a small wheeled luggage (to avoid buying another bigger duffel) but it just doesn't fit. So is it ok to take a small checked bag - one for each of us? We really don't have more clothes than recommended (except for underwear which we figure won't dry as easily). HOW MANY pieces of checked luggage do you take for two people?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM

TWO
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 03:49 AM

Each person should have a checked piece of luggage with most of what you're taking, weighing no more than 33/lbs. Then your carryon with meds, important papers, liquids in 1/qt ziplock, nibbles, etc. Then, your camera stuff. If either of these appear to be too large or weigh too much, they may be taken from you before entering the plane and become your 2nd checked piece of luggage.

Believe me, you can each get all the clothing you need for safari into that 1/each checked piece of luggage. Do not try to combine both of your items in 1/bag... makes no sense. Duffle bags are available at less than $50/each... most in the $20-$30/range.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi --- we weren't worried about the cost of more duffel bags but the safari provider suggests only one duffel per person and we weren't sure if the carry on we were using would count as one (20 x 10 x 10)! We have now decided to use another duffel bag each - all duffel bags being close to the same size but two slightly larger. That gives us 1 carry on and 1 checked each. AND as far as each taking their own duffel --- we ALWAYS cross pack --- half of mine in his, and half his in mine, etc. because we have had lost luggage - cross packing gives us each something if one piece of luggage is lost! And we always put at least one change of clothes in the carry on! Luckily our past lost luggage has so far been on the return trip and eventually got home. Thanks for all your help.