How is South Africa in Last 2 weeks of March?

Oct 10th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

How is South Africa in Last 2 weeks of March?

How are the following in S. Africa March 14-April Ist?

Weather, rain? Temp?
Scenery, Will the leaves still be on the trees? Fall colors or green? Is the scenic Garden Route still pretty?
Animals, Will we be able to see animals in trees and bush and open? Or will leaves obscure them?
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:05 AM

Your weather,rain and temp will depend on where you are.

On the highveld it should still be warm during the day, and cool at night. A lightweight jersey or jacket should be more than enough. This year I was in Limpopo province at the end of March and it was sweltering! We also had a 10 minute cloudburst one afternoon while out on a sundowners cruise = fun. I think the reason we saw so many hippo up close was because they were curious to look at the funny, soaked to the skin people!
How much game you see will depend a lot on the rains this season. If they are plentiful then water will not be scarce and animals will not have to go to the water holes and will have lots of lush bush to hide in. If not, then they should be easier to find. In any event an experienced ranger should be able to seek out the game irrespective of the conditions.

The Garden Route is scenic and evergreen throughout the year.
Nov 17th, 2003, 11:05 AM

Wow sounds good we're headed there in March too.

jj.......
Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:12 AM

I think March/April is actually the best time to travel in South Africa. Specially here in the Western Cape you can experience warm and sunny weather...The beaches is not so packed with tourists like in December(summer school holiday)and wonderful evenings..Actually thinking of it...South Africa is the place where you can experience summer any time of the year...June/July best place is Kwazulu Natal...and the game parks north...and from July to early December the Overberg and Garden Route for the whales...January/February to taste the wonderful sweet grapes, peaches, water melons and fruit of South Africa...and when you do get that odd day of rain...nothing better then going on a wine trip... Don't forget to stop over in Swellendam, 3rd oldest town in South Africa. Always welcome to visit me for nice cold cooldrink, beer or glass or wine.. Or send me email if you want more information

Search this Thread