Serengeti Sopa v's Wildlife Lodge

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serengeti Sopa v's Wildlife Lodge

I understand the difference in accomidation standards for these lodges but was wondering about locations. For a Feb trip what would be the advantages/disadvantages to one or the other? I was thinking Wildlife may save us a few $ but if Sopa is in a far better location then that may not be an issue. Would be very interested and grateful for any comments. (P.S. I know the animals will be wherever they want to be so really thinking about best general location for Feb) Also we will be spending some time in Ndutu we hope.

Thank you all in advance
J
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 03:17 AM

As good as the Sopa lodge was for us we would have preferred somewhere closer to the central Serengeti. The Sopa lodge is quite a way off the beaten track and takes quite a while to drive to the plains. I would definitely stay at Ndutu but first find out whether there is any water in Lake Ndutu as it was bone dry when we were there in early January and there were very few animals close by as a result of this lack of water - in fact, Ndutu was like a dust bowl.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks 50something. Anyone else with any input on this?

Thank you J
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 08:14 AM

I stayed at the Serengeti Sop in October, it is an AWESOME lodge with a great view of the Serengeti but yes, I agree with 50something, if I was to go back again, I would try to find someplace closer to the central Serengeti.

A tented camp would be preferred.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

So am I understanding that for a Feb trip if we are already staying at Ndutu then Serona region would be preferable over the Serengeti Sopa location???
Thanks again
J
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Hey Jules,
Check out climbhighsleeplow's comments about the pros and cons of the Big Three in the Serengeti on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34747246

The question was about travel in November, I think, but you may find it helpful.

I hope your itinerary is coming along well.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Leely, Yes we are working on the itin and I think it is coming along!!! We did stay at Wildlife lodge last time so I know what the lodge itself is like but I am still a bit confused as to how the location is different from Sopa for that time of year (feb). As I said I know the animal positions can't be predicted so I am thinking which would be the better local in theory!!
Thanks
J
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:57 AM

Jules, if you get a chance, try to read what he has to say on the subject. It's pretty interesting, especially in regards to what kind of guide/tour op you have, the length of stay and how those factors could impact your choice.

But, yeah, guesswork's still involved...

Maybe he or some other expert will chime in here.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Oh Leely I did go and read the link you so kindly gave and I agree there is some interesting info there for sure. I guess it is sometimes as you learn little bits you worry about more bits!!
J
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Jules, I think Sonali was trying to figure out where to split up her time this Feb/March too.

Also, I'm following your itinerary b/c I'd love to combine gorillas with traditional safari sometime in the near-ish future. Recently there was a thread here where it was pricing out at 8500pp. In which case I'd have to go later rather than sooner. Eeek!
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Yes Leely I saw that thread!! The obvious cost of what we are wanting to do is what has made me think that if Serona is as good or better location than Sopa for Feb then I am OK staying at Wildlife lodge if it saves us a bit of money. But not if Sopa would in theory be a way better location. The gorillas really are the prime objective of the trip. I will definately post once we really get our itin set!!
J
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

t
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Hi jules39, What is your itiernary like, how many days are u having at serengeti??? If I had to choose between serengeti sopa and the seronera wildlife lodge, I would prefer the wildlife lodge better, it has a fantastic location and from the top of the lodge near the dining area it is not unusual to see lions hunting!!!. I think when I was last there in the evening before I arrived from the game drive, sometime around 6 to 6 15 in the evening, some guest saw lions hunt down a wildebeest.
Leely, I am planning 3-4 nights luxury camping near ndutu, 2 nights sopa and 2 night central serengeti in March. Just dying to go!!! Sonali.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Sonali, we are currently looking at about 5 or 6 nights in Ndutu and 2 or 3 in either Sopa Serengeti or Serona Wildlife Lodge. We will also be in Ngorogoro & Tarangire. As I said this is for Feb 2007. Thank you for your input. J
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Hi Jules39,
WOW,Well around 7 to 9 days in the serengeti,you should have a great time,I would recommend around 4 nights ndutu area, 2 nights sopa and 3 nights wildlife lodge.
I am recommending staying at the sopa because it's close to the moru kojpes which has a rhino conservation area,also sopa is located near the naryboro hills(wrong spelling), and does have a good population of cheetahs,leopards and lions, and if ndutu area does not have rainfall like this year u are sure to catch it near the sopa and central serengeti.I think 4 nights are adequate for ndutu area, where are u staying at ndutu??? at ndutu lodge??
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Yes we are hoping to stay at Ndutu lodge but are still waiting for confimation of that from our operator. Thanks for your opinions I really appreciate it.
J
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:19 PM

Jules39, I am sure u will have a wonderful time at serengeti. Feel free to ask any more questions,
Sonali.