Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > How hard is it to transfer from one game reserve to another???

How hard is it to transfer from one game reserve to another???

Feb 15th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

How hard is it to transfer from one game reserve to another???

I am finding so many good reasonably priced game reserves that I am considering lengthening my stay at game reserves to as possibly long as 6 nights.

I am afraid to commit to a single lodge, other than a Singita or Royal Malewane, for longer than two or three nights total.

Consequently, I am considering the possibility of staying at 2 or 3 different lodges. I know the game reserves will transfer me to the airport but will they also transfer me to another game reserve or will I have to go back to the airport each time I want a new reserve???

Also, for others that have transfered from one reserve to another, did you find it a beneficial experience to stay at more than one game reserve??? How much time did you lose in transfering from one reserve to another??? Did you have many problems with coordinating the two separate stays???

Thanks.
Feb 18th, 2003, 07:41 PM

During my May 2002 visit, I found the transfers between game lodges very easy. I may be mistaken, but I believe that range rover transfers are included in your stay. Of course, air transfers are extra. Most travellers I encountered spent 2-3 nights at each lodge. The experiences are so different that it is well worth considering staying at several lodges. Cuisine, accomodation, game viewing, typography and the guests and staff are uniquely different.
Feb 19th, 2003, 03:50 AM

The way you plan your safari will all depend on what you want out of it.
If you want to relax and do some game drives, I will recommend you stay in one lodge. This will give you time to sleep-in a morning (you do get up very early for your morning drive). If you want to see as much wildlife as possible, I would suggest you do 2 lodges. This will give you time to see another area with different wildlife.

The game lodge will be able to transfer you to another lodge at an extra cost. This is normally done in a land rover if it is close. They might get someone else in to do the transfer if they need an air-conditioned vehicle. The lodge will be able to give you this information. There is no standard to this arrangement as all the lodges operate seperately.

Depending where you go, you will not loose too much time. You will have your early morning game drive, return to the lodge for breakfast and then you can leisurely check out. They will transfer you to have you at the next lodge by lunch time (again depending on where you go). If you choose Singita or Royal Malewane, you must be careful what you combine with this as these lodges are very high standard. Try to keep them for last. You will see at the cost what to expect. Why not combine a tented lodge like Ngala Tented Camp with your choice. This will give you a wonderful experience.
www.lbcl.co.uk

Search this Thread