Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   How expensive it gets for solo backpackers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/how-expensive-it-gets-for-solo-backpackers-913659/)

nikosk Dec 1st, 2011 03:52 AM

How expensive it gets for solo backpackers?

Hi there!
I’m working my plans for visiting Israel, and I wonder how cheap/expensive it gets for backpacker style.
I’m not talking for the absolute minimum record, basically for an average low budget-conscious way
(Sleeping in dorms/ simple rooms, eating at simple restaurants and some street food, travelling by public buses, etc)
Guidebooks set the low budget cost at US$ 20-40 (pppd), or NIS 80-150, is this really easy around the country?
I read other posts, that Israel is not really a backpacker destination. Hmmm…
Costs can vary for each traveller of course, but what should I expect as a rough idea?
Also: can you really enjoy some good sightseeing in low budget level, or need packages somewhere?
Many thanks- happy travels to all!
Nikolas

qwovadis Dec 2nd, 2011 12:09 PM

www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/israel/tel-aviv

www.virtualtourist.com www.hospitalityclub.org

Good sites for this pretty easy to do...

Bell Tel Aviv Abraham Hostel Jerusalem Masada top 3 for most.

Happy Travels!

nikosk Dec 3rd, 2011 02:29 AM

many thanks!
I 'll check on them

Elkaz Dec 4th, 2011 12:29 PM

I do not know what guidebook you are looking at but it is way inaccurate. Hostels in Israel are not cheap. Even something like the Abraham hostel--if you go 8 in the room will cost upwards of $40 a night. ( and other hostels are more expensive) You then need to eat--street food will still run a minimum of another $15 a day. Add the cost of buses--even if you do lots of walking, you are still riding buses to get from city to city. Tel Aviv to Jerusalem is approx. $5. There are admissions to many "do not miss" sites. If you bumped your budget to $75 a day you maybe could do it--but it would be difficult. Israel is not an inexpensive country to visit.

nikosk Dec 5th, 2011 09:33 AM

Many thanks Elkaz, you gave very insight info!!
The guidebook is lonely planet's last edition.
Probably it's a case of updating only the cover of the book!?
These costs you say are definately so much higher than what they mention there.
I now understand that Israel is not the budget destination I thought.
I think I got a good idea of what to expect.
I'll certainly plan my moves more carefully to stretch the budget as much as it takes!
Happy travels!!

Elkaz Dec 5th, 2011 12:08 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. BTW Lonely Planet is not considered an accurate book when it comes to israel ( it may be for other locations) The inaccuracies go way beyond telling you how much it will cost to travel there.

Hopefully you will be able to afford to still come.

nikosk Dec 6th, 2011 10:48 AM

It has happened to me with LP some times in the past.
They can do from great job to total disaster.
maybe you could suggest me a reliable one for Israel?
perhaps Fodors, or..?

Elkaz Dec 6th, 2011 01:40 PM

I really like the Foder's book. I do know some who like Frommers. Right now the current Foders has a later publication date.

trebex Dec 6th, 2011 09:01 PM

According to its website, the Abraham Hostel starts at NIS 72 per night, so a little more than $20. That's not Thailand, but it's not terrible. But it is true that Israel is an expensive country. IF you have a student card, that will save you a little on admissions, and a shekel or two on bus tickets.

Elkaz Dec 7th, 2011 04:37 AM

I just went back and rechecked. Playing around with dates I was able to get a 10 person room for 72NIS. I did't see that when I checked out the website the first time. A lot depends upon when you are going. Nikolas--when do you want to visit Israel---and then we can talk real numbers, not random dates

nikosk Dec 7th, 2011 08:52 AM

Many many thanks guys!!
great help
I'll see for the final considerations and I think I 'll do the trip and stretch the budget as much as it could go!!
all the very best!!!!