Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   How expensive are meals? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/how-expensive-are-meals-461209/)

jeepsterchick Jul 20th, 2004 02:35 PM

How expensive are meals?

We are considering Gate 1 Tours to Egypt - 8 day with 3 day Nile Cruise. Breakfast and 3 lunches and 3 dinners are included. How much should we allow for our other meals?
Thanks!

rfb Jul 21st, 2004 05:01 AM

Clearly, it depends on what you eat and where. If you are willing to eat where locals eat, meals are extremely inexpensive (USD2-3). If you eat at touristy restaurants meals are generally very reasonable (USD5-10). If you eat at five star restaurants and hotels meals are priced as they are everywhere (USD as much as you want to pay); you rarely get what you pay for.

It's sad but true that you don't go to Egypt to eat.

sandi Jul 21st, 2004 05:12 AM

Do you mean to say that the Breakfast at the hotel in Cairo and maybe Luxor "aren't" included? Very strange? Unusual, as rooms are almost always books on a B&B basis - I'd check this again. If going with a group, I assume that at Lunchtime you'll be taken to a restaurant where as a group or at individual tables, select a meal which shouldn't be expensive at all, though more than likely Egyptian type food.

I can understand that some tours don't include Diner, and though we had ours at our hotels, these were inexpensive, maybe $15 person and hotels often have a choice of type of food you might desire - continental, italian, french.

But I would double-check that "no Breakfasts" at hotels.

jeepsterchick Jul 21st, 2004 02:58 PM

Thanks, my posting included breakfasts and just 3 lunchs and 3 dinners...
This may be an ignorant question, may be one of many....what is the local food?

sandi Jul 22nd, 2004 05:05 AM

jeepsterchick - Local Food - beats me, must have been very ordinary, as it didn't leave any particular impression on me. But we did have two lunches which in Cairo, though included in our price - I vaguely remember there was rice, pepper steak, steamed vegetable, local bread (pita type), beverages; another day at a restaurant on the water they had fish (which I don't eat), chicken of some type (which I do eat) vegetables, local bread, beverages. In other words, rather ordinary.

Breakfasts were what one finds everywhere - cold cereals, fruits, assorted juices (the mango is outstanding), eggs, beef sausage, beef bacon, breads, some fishes, beverages. The usual.

When on your cruise your food for meals will be similar. Coffee/tea are included but drinks and mid-day juices (that mango juice over ice-cubes when you come in from touring - hits the spot!) are extra, but don't amount to much money. These extras to be paid when checking off the boat.

aprillilacs Jul 22nd, 2004 04:51 PM

The meals I ate at restaurants in Cairo were very similar to meals I have eaten at Middle Eastern restaurants in the States -- lamb meatballs, chicken shwarma, pita bread...good and really inexpensive (about $4 for dinner). Nice Egyptian beer, too.