Search

Which Itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Itinerary?

We are planning an 11-day trip to South Africa in February. I know it's not the best time of year to go, but it's the only time we can get away. I am looking at two itineraries and cannot decide which one to select. Both are fairly close in price, though Itinierary A is a few dollars cheaper (not enough to make a difference). I would appreciate your advice.

Itinerary A:
5 Nights - Capetown
3 Nights - Port Elizabeth
This one includes a day at Addo Elephant Park

Itinerary B:
1 Night - Johannesburg
3 Nights - Kruger National Park
4 Nights - Capetown

I have been told that three nights at Kruger is too much time and that we should spend more time in Capetown or visit Port Elizabeth. One of the goals for this trip is to see animals, but I want to experience the cities as well. Would one day at Addo be enough? Is Kruger, mixed with the rest of the trip, worth the time?

Thank you.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:18 PM

Hello Aggiewriter,

Itinerary B is the better of the 2, in my opinion.

One day of game viewing is too little, to my mind.

I would not recommend time in Port Elizabeth at the expense of Kruger. I suppose PE makes an okay base from which to see Addo, although -- at 135 km or 85 miles -- the two places are not THAT close to each other.

For the length of your trip, the distribution of time in Itinerary B is about right.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 03:36 PM

B, absolutely. Basically, the choice is between Port Elizabeth and Kruger, and Kruger, to me, is the best part of South Africa.
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM

Definitely B. There's not much to see in Port Elizabeth, but there is a lot to see up Kruger way. Have you considered going to Honeyguide Safari Camp, which is an independent operation outside the boundaries of the park? I'm presuming that the day in Johannesburg will be one of recovering from a long flight, since sights are, in MY opinion, limited. Nonetheless, I highly recommend dinner at Linger Longer, a restaurant near Sandton. Actually, there are two parts to it: a formal dining room (reservations mandatory) and, adjacent to it, a bistro-like eatery. Cape Town and vicinity are delightful---much to see and enjoy---but you say you want to see animals. Go to Kruger or to one of the private game parks nearby. ZZ
Old Oct 21st, 2004, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. This is part of a package. What we're getting for an entire package, which incudes airfare, is less than flying and piecing a trip together ourselves...Itinerary B was our first choice, so I think we'll stick with it.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 06:40 AM

Would you tell me about the package. We are looking into S.A. for April/May of next year, and are dismayed by the prices.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

We are planning to use Pacific Delight World Tours. The page with their Africa tours is located here: http://www.pacificdelighttours.com/a...ris/index.html

It was recommended by the owner of bestfares.com, whom I know on a business level.

The tour we are considering costs $2190 for 11 days, including air from Atlanta or JFK. We may not be staying at the most posh hotels, but that's never been important to us. We only sleep there, so as long as it's clean with a private bath, I'm OK.

For a thousand dollars more we could upgrade but the tour would be exactly the same. Not really worth it, as far as I'm concerned....

Hopefully in a couple of years when we have more time and money (and student loans are paid off) we can return.