Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How do you keep creepy-crawleys, critters and other "things" outside of your tent?

Search

How do you keep creepy-crawleys, critters and other "things" outside of your tent?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There - This may seem to be a silly question, but the closer I get to my trip, the more I wonder about these kinds of things..

I read a previous trip report where a girl woke up to find a big hairy spider on her mosquito netting over her bed...One person who responded to this report speculated that she may have had her lantern on in the tent at night which can attract spiders, bugs and "other things." Is this true? Should you not leave your lantern on in your tent at night?

On a related note, I was thinking of leaving a few granola bars or wrapped snacks in my backpack in case my husband & I get hungry during our safari drives...If I leave this in my tent at night, will this attract animals (even if the snacks are packaged/wrapped)? Or is it better to not leave ANY food at all in your tent...

Last, but not least, do I have to worry about the elephants, lions, hippos, etc. approaching my tent at night? I am definitely going to have to bring my Tylenol PM with me so that I can sleep with all of this worrying I am doing

Thanks for your feedback...Any suggestions on how to keep creepy-crawley's, snakes, and other animals out during my bedtime would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:34 AM
sniktawk

There is no way to keep spiders etc out, not many will hurt you.
Best to avoid keeping anything in the foodstuffs category as this will certainly attract everything, in particular mice etc.
Just make sure you keep the tent zipped at all times, never go out in the dark to see what is making a noise!
Any light attracts insects so turn them off when you do not need them!
Have a great holiday,you will sleep well without aid, as you will be tired from getting up early and all of the fresh air!!!

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Don't take Tylenol P.M. You'll miss all the fantastic sounds at night. Lions roaring, hippos grunting, frogs etc. You'll definitely fall asleep without needing a sleep-aid.
Turn your shoes upside down and shake them out in the morning just in case something did crawl into them. Have a pair of flip-flops by the bed in case you need to get up in the middle of the night, but do not leave the tent!
Don't leave food laying around the tent or you may get some monkey visitors.
Once you're there the worries will go away.
Have a great time!
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM

The spider was on the "outside" of the mossie net. It's much like that TV commercial with couple waking to find flying things attached to their mossie net. Ok, that didn't make you feel any better, but that's the reason for the nets. Any light will attract flying things at night, even in your suburban backyards - mossies, moths, lightening bugs, etc.

The tents screens are treated with repellent; when your bed is turned down, they spray your tent. All to keep such critters at bay.

While I prefer not to sleep under mossie nets, except for Paka, the genet, who I invited in for the pleasure of sleeping with me, I've never come upon a creepy crawly or flying something in all my safari years.

As Dennis mentioned above, it's a good idea to turn your shoes over or if you have those hotel shower caps, cover them; always shake shoes out in the morning (just to be sure); use flip-flop or slip-in slippers at night if you have to make a trip to the potty.

... and it's best not to keep any kind of food in your tent. No one can say whether you will or won't have a visitor, but if you do, you probably won't know till your see the wrapper (sans whatever was inside)

Old Jun 30th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Besides keeping the tent zipped up at the appropriate times I also suggest stuffing an old sock or piece of cloth in the "open" area made where the zippers all come together. Actually, we enjoyed the presence of critters inside the tent as such added to the trip. Not that we relished the idea of a huge spider but the occassional gecko (they eat bugs)was a blessing. And, the little mouse, well, we have those at home especially in the fall. And, we looked forward to having larger wildlife in the vicinty of our tent! The times where we have heard or read of a problem have been in the tiny minority. Relax. And, have a great trip.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM

The thing that freaks me out about bugs is the potential for them crawling in my ear while asleep. So I wear earplugs when someplace where there are creepy crawley things in abundance.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM

LOL hills!
but with earplugs, how would you hear the lion tearing your tent to shreds?
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Believe me, I don't want to hear him before he eats me.

But seriously, that one scene in Brokedown Palace really freaked me out.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:51 PM

Keep the food in your backpacks at your own risk. If you do, keep them in plastic zip-lock bags deep inside your luggage.

My wife always carries M&M candies with her on every trip we take anywhere. Its a strange superstition, I know, but she does it. Anyway, in Zimbabwe once we were in a great camp (Ruckomechi in Mana Pools) and heard little critters scampering about the room. We ignored it for a while, but then the sounds were too loud so we used the flashlight to look around.

There he was, a little field mouse had chewed through our vinyl luggage and was chowing down on the M&M's.

If you want to keep "things" out of your tent, don't pack food, at least not so that they can smell it.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice everyone! Quick question, many of you have mentioned NOT to leave your tent at night. However, there is one camp I am staying in the Masai Mara for 5 nights (Serian) where I believe the bathroom is outside of my tent!! If I had known that before booking, I probably would have chosen another place because I am petrified about going out of my tent at night. How should I handle this if I have to use the loo in the middle of the night?? I honestly don't think I will be able to leave the tent I will be so scared, but I may not have a choice?

All of the rest of your ideas are great - turning over shoes, NO food (got it!) - thank you!!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 05:48 AM

The web site for that camp says the "bush bathroom" is adjoining. That doesn't sound like you have to go outside but ask your agent or email the camp. Can't imagine they'd put you in any situation where you would be wandering around outside, alone at night
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:45 AM

Imavolio,
From your descrpition, I would think that your bathroom is not inside your tent, but is in an enclosed area private to your tent. I would not worry about any "big" critters. I have used the loo in the middle of the night when I needed to unzip the tent and walk a few feet outside to the loo, since it is all enclosed (fenced) for privacy, you will be fine. We did not leave the lanterns on inside the tent at night, but did leave them on outside the tent for any late/middle of the night loo runs. We should not leave your tented area after dark and wander around, but your tent, porch, and loo are all fine. I also left my flashlight on the nightstand, so I could use it for a late night loo run, if needed. No worries, you should be fine. also remember, you usually don't go to the tent until after 10:00 and they wake you up at 5:00, so not a really long nights sleep.
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Yeah, my travel agent actually recently returned from East Africa and stayed for a night at Serian to check out the camp. She said that the bathroom was a couple of steps outside of our tent. I assumed that meant outside and not enclosed...If it was protected somehow, I would be ok with having to go out to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I hope it is!! I also hope that the bathroom itself is secure enough outdoors so that no creepy crawley's will get into it in the middle of the night before I have to use the loo - getting bit on the bum by a spider or a snake in the bathroom would be a very rude awakening!!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM

Imavolio,

I noticed that you will be visiting Serian soon? I sincerely appreciate any feedback on your return from Serian in terms of the animals seen and your overall experience as i hope to visit there...

Rgds,
Hari
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:44 AM

Here is a picture from the tent to the bathroom at Serian

http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/Serian31.jpg

And general Serian pics:
http://www.go-safari.com/Masai%20Mara/serian.htm

The bathroom has a curtain (no a door) and is open on the River side. You cannot control what may be inside.

But do not worry please - nothing there is dangerous. Mostly moths. And you have a mossie net in your tent.

There are just as many insects in lodge rooms such as Serena where they crawl in under the door etc. And unlike the tented camps the lodges don't spray the rooms.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the pics climbhighsleeplow...I feel a little better about the bathroom situation at Serian.

Also, since you've been there, is there a specific tent # that I should request? For example, from your pictures it looks like one tent is very basic, yet another is set on a raised porch overlooking the Mara river? Maybe you were lucky enough to get the honeymoon suite...Let me know if you have any recommendations and I will at least attempt to request the tent(s) of my choice...Thanks!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Imavolio - Thank you SO much for your question. We are leaving for Tanzania and Kenya on Wednesday (!!!) and I am not a fan of bugs and very phobic about spiders in particular. We have nixed our plans to bring granola bars based on the responses to your question. Better to be a little hungry than have bugs in the tent!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM

#6 yes!

Or, if I read my map correctly,

#1 - #4.

#5, #7, and #8 are higher up and a bit further away from the river (better if you want more distance from grazing hippos!)

In December there was talk about a new expansion across the river - Sandi was just there and may know.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM

TravelLover2, I've never heard of anybody going hungry on safari.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:03 AM

Eben -

They were working on the 4/tents across the river when I visited; also the suspension bridge to get to... with expected completion by July - I'm not sure they'll make it. From what I heard, the tents will be somewhat larger than the current ones, with emphasis on families/groups. They'll have a separate mess tent, but use the kitchen facilities of the main camp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -