How do you book a Nile cruise only?

Oct 22nd, 1998, 03:07 AM
steve

How do you book a Nile cruise only?

We are planning a two week visit to egypt in April 99 . We have had conflicting advice regarding independent travel vs. tours. Most tours don't seem to offer enough time in Luxor and Aswan.
Does anybody know how to book the cruise component only?
If so, can we book before we go or do we try pot luck in Luxor?
Another question.
Has anyone travelled with Imaginative Traveller or Peregrine Adventures in Jordan?
Any help much appreciated.
regards
Steve
Melbourne, Australia

Nov 8th, 1998, 07:17 AM
TOM

Have a look at the web site jvc.co.uk for nile cruises. They offer complete packages from the UK and very good value trips to Luxor/amada/Abu Simbel etc.

Nov 8th, 1998, 07:18 AM
TOM

Have a look at the web site vjv.co.uk for nile cruises. They offer complete packages from the UK and very good value trips to Luxor/amada/Abu Simbel etc.

Dec 23rd, 1998, 08:51 PM
Thom Bunch

Let me get my soap box in place....there. You don't need to take an expensive tour to do Egypt. In fact, you can do it as a semi-independent for far less money, and see more of Egypt. Semi-independent is where you decide where you wish to go, what you wish to see, where you want to stay and what boat you wish to cruise on, and then have an agent in Egypt put it all together. My wife and I have just returned from doing it that way, all via the web, and the three weeks in Egypt with two cruises, airfare from San Diego/Cairo for two, miscellaneous stuff and my wife's shopping trips came in under $6500.00! Let me know if you have any questions. Thom

Jan 1st, 1999, 03:44 PM
Paula

Egypt happens to be one of the countries where the natives try to be VERY friendly - so much so that they can be suffocating. Once you get to Cairo where most people begin touring you will
be able to find many opportunities to book Nile cruises at the hotels or tour agencies. You can also wait and fly to Luxor and book from there. The time you plan to tour is not "high" season plus the recent turmoil in the Middle East has discouraged tourists so you will have ample opportunity to explore on your own plus the sites will not be crowded. Feel free to e-mail me - I have 15 years experience in Egypt and the Middle East. [email protected]

Jan 11th, 1999, 05:08 PM
Joel

Steve, I ditto what Thom and Paula said. Very good advice. My wife and I have been twice; once to the Cairo/Alexandria area and once to the Luxor region.
Our version on Thom's and Paula's advice was to book our hotel/air package and then tour a la carte out of the hotel using Thomas Cook Agency and other well-known tour providers. Hiring a chauffered car with driver and experienced guide all to yourselves is dirt cheap and he goes when you want and returns when you want. I stress that there are huge opportunities for flexibilizing your itinerary in Egypt. No need to get tied down with the "If This Is Tue It Must Be Belgium" syndrome. Also, ditto to the friendliness of the locals. I was never anywhere else that a whole flock of teenage boys would get up en masse and give their ferry seats to a tour group with insistence that you take the seat and be comfortable. Doesn't happen in the USA, that's for sure! Bon voyage.

Search this Thread