Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > How did you choose the luxury Riad you stayed at in Fes and Marrakech?

How did you choose the luxury Riad you stayed at in Fes and Marrakech?

Jun 9th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

How did you choose the luxury Riad you stayed at in Fes and Marrakech?

We are heading to Morocco and I've pored through the Trip Advisor reviews and other articles. We've narrowed our options down to the following and curious if people have views on these (or what lead them to choose one over the other). We like luxury but want some local style and a lot of comfort and friendly/helpful service.

Fes:

Riad Fes or Riad Laaroussa? Riad Fes looks gorgeous but Riad Laaroussa seems a little cleaner decor which looks relaxing.

Marrakech:

La Sultana, Dar Darma or Riad Farnatchi? We have pretty much decided to have dinner at La Sultana rather than stay there (although the entry pic on their website looks amazing). This leaves Dar Darma or Riad Farnatchi. Riad Farnatchi seems to have friend service and an A-List clientele but Dar Darma rooms look a llittle more luxurious.

I don't think we can go wrong with any of them but love hearing other's views and/or decision process.
Jun 9th, 2015, 08:13 PM

I used TA. Turned out to be a major mistake and I moved after the first night. My second choice, based on Lonely Planet, was full, but took me round the corner to another property that worked out well.
Jun 14th, 2015, 05:26 PM

Hi TJinSOMA,
Wow, looks like we have very similar travel schedules this year! From one of your recent posts I see you'll be visiting Bologna this fall - I'll be there in October, staying in Bologna and taking day trips from there. And I recently got back in early May from a 2 1/2 week trip to Morocco. We loved Morocco, you'll have a great time, though it will probably be much hotter than it was in April, when the weather was pretty perfect. We stayed at Riad Laaroussa in Fes, and loved it. I don't think you could go wrong with either - we passed Riad Fes when we were walking around town with a local guide, who pointed it out as one of the top places to stay in town. I think Riad Fes is probably more typically 5 star luxury. Laaroussa was plenty luxurious too, and what make it really great was the staff. A lot of the riads like to call themselves "your home in city -" at Laaroussa the hospitality from all the staff really was special, and it felt very homey, relaxed and comfortable. If you like dogs, there are 2 resident labs, who are really friendly. Lots of stairs, though - probably worth it to have one of the ground floor rooms (they're 2 of those).
Jun 15th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lily3. We are big dog fans and did like the ground floor rooms on the garden. Leaning towards Laaroussa but agree that both probably great options. Any favorite restaurants? We want to try Restaurant No. 7 and then some local cuisine on a great rooftop terrace.

Having similar debate about Marrakesh as Farnatchi seems a little friendlier and Dar Darma a little more posh.

Search this Thread