Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   How confirmed are confirmed hotels on Safari? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/how-confirmed-are-confirmed-hotels-on-safari-687831/)

Bobcaat Mar 14th, 2007 11:22 AM

How confirmed are confirmed hotels on Safari?

I exchanged messeges with an individual on TripAdvisor about their safari experience. They stated on their safari they were moved from their confirmed hotel to another property on three occasions. The safari operator stated the lodges were overbooked; but on one occasion this individual contacted the lodge to find the lodge had availability. When the tour company was notiifed they were able to get them into the original hotel after all. The traveler felt they were victim of a bait and switch.

How common is having to change properties once in county; is this common or uncommon? Once a tour operator confirms availability can one contact the lodge directly to confirm the reservation or will the reservation be in the name of the safari company and the hotel will not be able to identify the guest?

Thanks again for the help our itinerary is coming together and we hope to make a deposit within the next couple of days. We are waiting on confirmation of the availability of the lodges and camps.

cary999 Mar 14th, 2007 12:35 PM

No answer for you, but, really good question. It would be easy for a dishonest agent/operator to tell you one thing, then when you get to Africa things are changed, so what are you going to do about it at that point?
Then you get back to the USA and complain to whom? Sue the agent in Africa? Sure, that'll work.
It would be interesting to know how often this happens. My only suggestion is to deal/work with tour operators that have been in business a number of years and have agents in your country. If you can personally visit and talk with them, so much the better.
Contact lodges directly? Yes, I do that even after my trip has been all confirmed. Why? Because honest mistakes happen and I do not want to find them after paying $$$$$$ and flying a zillion miles. I simply call the lodge/camp reservation office, tell them they should have a reservation for me and I'm just making sure I have the dates correct. They are always helpful and give me a reservation confirmation number so I feel really good that all is good.
On my last safari we had to spend overnight between camps in Lusaka at the Holiday Inn. But, I had not called them like I said I do. So, guess what, they did not have our name and I did not have a reservation number for reference. Lusaka Zambia 11pm. The clerk fumbled around for 30 minutes then finally gave us a room because we were going to Robin Pope camps. (But is was a dingy crumby little room that certainly we had paid for better).
I hope someone else has a better answer to your question than I've given.
regards - tom

Kavey Mar 14th, 2007 12:59 PM

This is why there's a balance to be struck between price, operator reputation and even country of operation.

For some the price is the main consideration and making huge savings on what out-of-Africa operators/ agents charge is a key motivator.

For some the knowledge that the operators/ agents are covered by consumer protection laws (that can successfully be used to obtain compensation should any such bait and switch, or indeed any other problem occur) are of primary importance.

Many of us fall somewhere in the middle - we don't want to pay unreasonably high mark-ups but we also want reassurance that we will get what we've paid for and been promised.

For some that means seeking out those local African operators that have a sufficiently good reputation to reassure us and for others it means sticking with out-of-Africa operators/ agents in one's own country having worked hard to find ones that don't charge the earth!

kimburu Mar 14th, 2007 05:44 PM

I would totally agree with the responses above - if you trust your agent/operator (and that might include competence... not to be taken for granted) no problem; if you have any worries at all do what Tom suggests and check your booking yourself. If they can't identify the guest, I'd say something is wrong. Although you will have probably paid your deposit by then... :-( at least there is still time to negotiate.

A number of people on Trip Advisor seem to be on beach and safari vacations, booking the safari part from Mombassa or Malindi in Kenya. That appears to be a slightly different 'scene' to the longer safari trips (e.g. questions like "should I book in advance or book with the beach boys after I arrive?") and often done on a budget - you might want to take that into account. It definitely does happen, though.... and not just at the coast.

atravelynn Mar 14th, 2007 08:52 PM

"Once a tour operator confirms availability can one contact the lodge directly to confirm the reservation?"

That's what I would do and see if your name is in there somewhere. At least the # in the party should match up. If not, then you know there's a problem.

I have not done that for Africa since I have trusted my agents, which I picked for being reputable. But I think it is a good idea.

sandi Mar 15th, 2007 04:14 AM

If you choose to contact the hotel, lodge or camp directly, remember that the reservation maybe in the name of your tour operator and not yours.

Bobcaat Mar 15th, 2007 07:11 AM

Thanks again for the information; so far I am very comfortable with our company as they have good reviews here and elsewhere. They have kept me informed about accomodations that are not available and offered advice on either making changes to our travel dates or alternative accomodations.

kimburu Mar 15th, 2007 06:37 PM

Sandi.. I know of course operators and agents will hold bookings in their names, but once the booking is made and the deposit paid shouldn't the reservation be changed to the name of the guest? I've always found that to be the case but my sample size is admittedly limited, and I know you have much more experience with these things than me. Or are you referring only to group bookings? (Which of course, silly me, I didn't think of).

sandi Mar 16th, 2007 04:04 AM

Some booking offices for a particular lodge or camp, may convert the reservation into the name of the client, others may continue to hold in the name of the outfitter/agent. My comment was more a "heads-up" that if one is reconfirming and are advised "I'm sorry Mr. Smith, but there is no reservation in your name" to ask whether there is one held in the name of ABC Tours, for Mr & Mr Smith arriving on (date), departing (date). You have to work all possibilities.

But any reputable outfitter, should confirm your space before booking and advise client accordingly. And, if one prop is only available as a "waitlist" likewise, advise client and be sure the outfitter has a "cover booking" at a comparable property, which client should be aware of... and to follow-up to see if original space is eventually released.

It's not unusual that certain props (i.e., the Serena in the Mara) are waitlisted as there are "block bookings" placed by major tour operators (sometimes 2/years in advance), only to be released the closer the date of arrival... usually 30-60/days prior arrival.

LyndaS Mar 16th, 2007 07:29 AM

When I read this post, Jenn24's reprot popped into my mind - remember her & Ariel who ended up staying in only ONE lodge/camp from their original confirmed itinerary?

From the trip reports, I see that doesn't happen often, and certainly theirs was an extreme case, but I can recall a few times reading some people had some surpirses while in country.

Patty Mar 16th, 2007 11:51 AM

Jenn's ground operator in Tanzania was Predators and I've read similar accounts from others who used Predators so I'd be particularly wary if that's the operator you're using. Personally, I've just trusted my operator and have not called lodges/camps directly to confirm.

kimburu Mar 18th, 2007 05:59 PM

Don't tell Serah on me, Patty. I don;t do it anymore. ;-)

cat_lover Mar 20th, 2007 12:17 PM

What about asking the tour operator to fax or e-mail you a copy of their confirmation from the hotel? I'm going to Tanz and Uganda in December and this has me thinking....