Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How can we watch a bigger migration phenomenon than that of the wildebeest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
aby
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anybody know ?
<i>
The Serengeti wildebeest migration is one of the largest land mammal migrations on Earth, second only to that of <b>Mongolian gazelles </b></i>

http://www.thomsonsafaris.com/newsle...wildebeest.htm
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 02:42 AM
sniktawk

I think Thomson Safaris are using a lot of travel agent speak. The migration in Mongolia is nothing like the size of that in Africa. If you google you will find that numbers of Mongolian Gazelle have dropped since the 70's.

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:33 AM

I have heard about the gazelle migration in Mongolia and one day I would like to see it. However, first I would like to see the single largest known mammal migration in the world and it is not the Great Migration, which I have seen and been awestruck by while in the Serengeti last year. The biggest known mammal migration on the planet occurs in Zambia:

www.kasanka.com/bats.htm

www.kasanka.com/bat-gallery.htm

Decisions, decisions...part of me wants to return to Botswana next November, while the other part wants to return to Zambia not only for South Luangwa but, especially, for the largest mammal migration on the planet.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Close but ...

I'll be in Mongolia the end of June for a few days. Alas, no migration at that time.....
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Rocco, you know that Kasanka only offers very rustic accommodation? I stayed at both camps.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:43 AM

I've been to Michoacan, Mexico to see the monarch butterfly migration, and I'm sure in terms of numbers it exceeds these other migrations. Its truly incredible!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Nyama,

I am okay with rustic accomodations for 2 or 3 nights if it is sandwiched between, say, Luangwa River Lodge and Puku Ridge/Chichele. Zambia at that time of year should be beautiful with occasional rain and awesome clouds.

Michael,

Thanks for the remainder on the monarch butterfly migration. I know my significant other would LOVE to see that and Michoacan is a bit closer to Los Angeles than Zambia!

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Wow...the Monarch Butterfly migration is happening NOW. I was looking for something to do for New Years and this may be the perfect answer.

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:14 AM

With compliments to a true Africaphile friend who just reminded me of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sudan/stor...101666,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ture=330018155

Me and my teddy bear, &quot;Mohammad&quot;, will be there next year, for sure!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM

When I was investigating my Mongolian trip, I came to the conclusion that seeing any gazelles, much less a whole migration is very difficult. I did get to see a mother and baby in the Gobi.

I just read where Mexico is preserving more land for the monarchs.

<b>What do you all know about monarchs in California? I know it is not as large as the wintering grounds in Mexico, but it could be interesting?</b>

I thought the bats in Zambia were the largest mammal migration. Gotta get to them some day!

In addition to travel goals, now we'll have migration goals.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM

&gt;What do you all know about monarchs
&gt;in California? I know it is not as
&gt;large as the wintering grounds in
&gt;Mexico, but it could be interesting?

I've visited the monarchs in Pismo Beach, as it's a short drive from my in-laws house. Interesting, and a nice beach walk nearby, but nothing I'd fly specifically to go see.

Nancy
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Rocco, its still pretty early in the monarch butterfly season in Mexico. I went over Thansgiving 2004 and while there were millions of butterflies, and very few tourists, I was told that I caught the beginning -- still, there were times when I walked through enormous flying swarms.

I posted some info on the Latin America branch, including the company that helped me make my arrangements (they're in Canada, but at least at that time, the owners' son was in Morelia, and he helped me make arrangements).

In any event, its very easy, and the monarch reserves can be visited from Morelia (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), and you may be able to fly to Morelia from LA (you can fly there, I think, from Houston, and definitely by connecting in Mexico City, which is what I did).

Its a very different type of trip.

Michael
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM

How about seeing the Hawk migration through Mexico, with upwards of 100k per day of different species of raptors.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM

May I add that Kasanka is also a breeding place of Pels. Kasanka Trust doesn't promote this but there are about half a dozen nesting sites along Luwombwa River. A good reason to stay at Luwombwa Camp.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM

What a Pel's tidbit! That's amazing.
Thanks, nyama!

Hawks would be good too!
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:39 PM

Rocco beat me to the recently discoverd Sudan migration.

Here's one that combines migrations. Horseshoe crabs, a 360 million year old species from well before dinosaurs, gather on the beaches of Delaware Bay in densities of up to 100,000 per mile of beach with females laying 80,000 eggs each on the beach. This in turn feeds an enormous bird migration of over half a million shorebirds that have been flying with no food for 10,000 miles.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:11 AM

If Thit Cho still had Delaware as the one remaining unvisited state of 50, I bet he'd be booking reservations now.

Those crabs may contribute to my first Delaware visit. Thanks.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Nyama

Great info thanks.

Matt
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Lynn, I've seen the horseshoe crabs many times, but from the NJ side -- there were thousands of them. But I haven't seen them in more than 20 years. I'm not much of a birder, but I may schedule a trip to Cape May and that may coincide with the horseshoe crabs.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:03 AM

The tiang in Sudan look very interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -