How about disease in S. Africa?

Oct 10th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

How about disease in S. Africa?

In my previous post, I forgot to ask about mosquitos in Late March. Is this a time when one might get bitten? If I take malaria prevention medicine, do I also need to take other shots? Hep. or Yellow Fever?
Oct 10th, 2003, 02:38 PM
sandi

Guest -

You don't mention where in SA you will be visiting. You certainly don't have to worry about Malaria in Capetown, Johannesburg, Sun City. There are some game areas that are malaria free, most of the others are not and if there's water around there are usually mosquitos. Mosquitos biting time is from dusk to dawn, and if mosquitos manage to fine you regardless whether deseased or not, repellent is necessary on any exposed skin.

As to Hep A or A/B - it is a good idea to have these even if you're not traveling - they serve one well no matter where one is (good for 10-yrs).

I would also suggest you get a Tetanus (DPT) innoculation (good for 10-yrs).

As for Yellow Fever, unless you are coming from a country where there is YF, you don't need this for entry into SA.

Oct 11th, 2003, 09:17 AM

I go to South Africa every few years, and I never get any shots. All I do is take malaria medication if I'm going to be in a malaria area. If my arrival date and travel plans allow it, I wait and get my malaria stuff in SA, rather than in the US. Malaria meds are over the counter there, not prescription, and they aren't expensive.

Search this Thread