Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hout Bay, South Africa - What is the best things to do there?

Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

I'll be going back to Cape Town soon and would like to spend some time in Hout Bay for about three days in May this year. We were there last October, but only had time to spend part of a day on the way to the Cape of Good Hope. It's such a lovely village, I'd like to spend some time there.

Can you recommend some moderately priced B&B's or hotels (approx. R100)and suggestions for good lunch and dinner restaurants. Thanks for any help you can give me. - Joan
Feb 22nd, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

The B&B and hotel figure is per person, which is what we generally paid last year for very good B&B's. There is no problem with restaurant prices as long as the food is worth the price. Thanks, - Joan
Feb 23rd, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Perhaps someone can remember a past posting on Hout Bay that will help me.Thanks, - Joan
Feb 23rd, 2006, 09:49 PM

Joan,

Thank you for the interest in our beautiful little village! I will list a few B&Bs and post it later today - it will help me if you can mention how many people you are, the exact dates you require and what your criteria is for accommodation - there are so many excellent places in Hout Bay that my list to you will be very long if left up to me to decide!

The same goes for restaurants, so I will try to be brief in my descriptions. I have to rush out to take some photos on Chapmans Peak Drive now, but will be answering you later. (it's a beautiful day and I live in paradise..

Roly
Feb 24th, 2006, 02:03 AM

Joan,

Here is a short list of B&Bs in Hout Bay - there are many more, and each has it's own charm and special features. Not knowing your criteria for accommodation, I chose a few I think may suit your budget. It's best to ask them to give you an offer for the exact dates and number of people you require. During the low season (May-September) you will find excellent offers, especially if you are staying for longer, but you may find they will offer you a lower rate than advertised even for 3 nights. If you are more than 2 people you may want to look at self-catering places as well - there are so many excellent restaurants in Hout Bay that you will never need to cook anyway, and the prices for self-catering units will probably be better for more than 2 people.

If you click on my name above you can also look at my other posts about Hout Bay where I recommend things to do and places to see.

Accommodation (in no particular order):

Hout Bay View B&B treasureafrica.com/houtbayview
This is a brand new B&B in Hout Bay. I can honestly say the views are breathtaking! Hout Bay is a fishing harbour and the harbour and bay between Chapmans Peak Drive and the Sentinel is spread out before you from this vantage point. The owners, Bryan and Andrew, are excellent hosts! Its very central, so its close to the shops and other attractions.

Sunbird Mountain Retreat treasureafrica.com/sunbirdlodge
This is a B&B with a difference it doesnt have a sea view as its located in the forests of the Orangekloof Nature Reserve, but the position and setup of this little gem is extraordinary! The owners, Ken & Sharon, built the B&B and self-catering units themselves, and Ken usually makes the breakfast they are lovely people! You will have the tranquillity of the forests, views of our beautiful mountains, peaceful koi ponds, and its a little removed from the business centre of Hout Bay.

Bayview Lodge - treasureafrica.com/bayviewlodge
This B&B is in the valley of Hout Bay, close to the World of Birds (which you HAVE to visit!), and has also recently been renovated by Harold, the owner, who owned another B&B here before. Hes well known for his memorable hospitality. The views are of the mountains surrounding Hout Bay.

Remember, everything in Hout Bay is close to everything else its a small village so if I mention things being close to something, I mean really close..

Restaurants:

For breakfast, try La Cucina (a local secret), Suikerbossie (only on Sundays), or Renaissance.

Seafood specialities and light meals... Lookout Deck in the harbour (the calamari with chilli and orange is delectable), Dunes on the beach (great food and ON the beach), Comida (varied menu, great food and views), Cape Courtyard (for typical South African braai food), Chapmans Peak Hotel for paella.

Meat... Butchers Grill

Phew! There are too many to mention, so I'm going to stop here! Ask if you need any further information...

R
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

There will be two older adults - we don't do hiking etc., but love to walk, take photos and enjoy new places andd good food as well as meet new friends.
The exact dates are uncertain, just sometime in May (perhaps even June, there's even a chance it may need to be moved to October, one of us needs serious surgery soon). - Joan
Feb 27th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Joan,

In that case, also look at amblewood.co.za as the owner, Trevor, is an experienced photographer and offers to give his guests a tour to the best photo opportunities in the Cape Peninsula.

May is usually still great weather in Cape Town, and if possible, this will be a good time for you to visit.

R
Feb 9th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Hello, We have also been looking at Hout Bay to stay. How far is it from Cape Town? We are looking at a cottage advertised in the Cape Town Family Tours. Has anyone used this tour and accomondation and have any comment? Thanks!