Restaurant near Ramses Hilton?

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 03:14 PM
Rudy

Restaurant near Ramses Hilton?

Our tour group has put us in this hotel for our Cairo stay. We will have to provide most of our own meals for that time. Does anyone have any suggestions for good, safe restaurants near the hotel which serve Egyptian style food, but yet are used to foreigners? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Tarek

Try koshary (an Egyptian vegeterian dish) at least one. A good place for it is "koshary el Tahrir", off of Tahrir Square, accross from El Bustan Center (cross the square from your hotel, go by the KFC and ask someon about either Kushary El Tahrir or El Bostan Center). Also go to Felfella, off Talaat Harb square, by the Air France office. There, you can sample many different Egyptian dishes, but the most popular is fool (fava beans), cooked in 15 or so different ways.
Moreover, for very reliable restaurant reviews, check out www.ecroc.com. Another good site is http://www.egypttoday.com/dprest.htm
and there is a weekly magazine called Cairo Times that has a monthly supplement called Caio Beat (I think) which also has good reviews, ordered by food types. It is usually available in places such as coffee shops and htel lobbies, but you can e-mail the Cairo Times at [email protected] to ask them where you can find this supplement.
Bon appetit!

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 02:29 PM
Tarek

By the way, if you check out the websites I mentioned, you will find the restaurants ordered by neighborhood. The Nile Hilton is in the Downtown area. Close by is Garden City. The other way is Maspero. Accross the Nile is Zamalek (Gezira Island). On the opposite side of the Nile Are Dokki and Mohandessine. Giza is accross te Nile to the South. Heliopolis is by the airport and Nasr City is close to Heliopolis.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 05:00 PM
Alice

I spent part of this past holiday season wandering the streets of Cairo and trying every food dish possible and hands down my favorite restaurant was The Felfella. There's one not far from your hotel (taxi should be LE5 or less - that's one of the disadvantages of your hotel.It's situated on such a busy street and almost impossibe to cross. Makes what should be 'within walking distance' a 'taxi ride away'. Fortunately the cab fares are reasonable.) NOW, back to food. Do try everything!!! Get the new Lonely Planet guide and on pages 106 and 107 are the names of popular dishes and descriptions. I literally checked off each as I savored every scrumptious bite. A great dessert, Om Ali, is not listed and it is fabulous. Again The Felfella has about everything in the book and with most prices at less than LE3. (Oh, yes, you must also try the meat balls and rice.) The Felfella restaurant out by the Pyramids (across from the Mena House) has Sheesha on their menu and it was so much fun to smoke - the waiters really got a kick out of showing me how. Hope this is a help. Again be careful of that street - for a city of 16 million there are only 3 stop lights!!! (You think I jest??) Happy travels!!

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 06:16 PM
Rudy

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. One thing everyone seems to agree about concerning Cairo is the danger of crossing the streets.I was there for about 6 hours in 1961, and I was shocked that cars drive around at night without their lights on. Is that still the case?

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 06:39 PM
Alice

Yes, that is still the practice of most drivers - to drive at night without turning on their lights. Of course, downtown Cairo is so well lighted at night that there is no need for them. I did witness police on the street in front of the Nile Hilton (has a Cybercafe in the lower of the mall) pull over drivers for not having their lights on. There are tourist police all over the place. I honestly don't believe I was ever more that 30 yards from one. So I didn't hesitate to ask for their assistance when crossing a street!