Hotels in Sharm-el-Sheikh

Mar 18th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Nadine

Hotels in Sharm-el-Sheikh

Can anyone suggest a nice 4 or 5 star hotel in Sharm-el-Sheikh with beach access?

Also, has anyone gone to St. Catherine's from there and how long is the trip by bus? Is this a site worth seeing?

Thanks.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:27 AM
cb

Nadine, I stayed at the Movenpick which is actually in Naama Bay. There are rows and rows of hotels fronting the beach.

I can't remember exactly how long the bus ride was to St Catherine, but I remember it took the better part of a day. There was a brief scenic stop at Ghazala valley (? name). At St Catherine is a monastery and the burning bush of biblical fame. There is also Mt Moses and the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen. The hike up the mountain is an unforgettable experience and I enjoyed it. The area is very scenic. If this is your kind of sightseeing, then it is worth it. If you have time while in Sharm, a trip to the colored canyon, Dahab, and swim with dolphins in Nuweiba is also interesting. Day trips are sold from booths along the beach.

Mar 30th, 2000, 08:05 PM
Russ

Nadine, We stayed at the Baron last May, which is a 5 star about 8 miles north of Namaa Bay, on Ras Nasrani. We only went to Namaa bay once (to catch a boat to reefs off of Tiran Island, the highlight of our trip) and we were very glad we didn't stay there.

Namaa bay is packed with hotels, each of which have a very narrow slice of the beach. Each hotel's section is maybe 10 beach-chairs wide and ten deep. At the Barron, the beach is at least 100 yards wide and the chairs have lots of space between, and only 2 rows deep.

The only caveat is if you want things to do at night. There is a shuttle hourly to Namaa bay from the hotel, but we preferred to sit on the beach and listen to the water, or have a tea in the Bedoin tent.

One more thing to consider: If you want a sandy bottom when you are swimming, go to Namaa bay. If you want excellent snorkeling, go to the Baron or one of the other Ras Nasrani Hotels.

Regarding St. Catherines: We did not do the hike up Mt. Sinai, but we met people who did and said it was worth it. You leave the hotel at 1 am and it's a 2 hour drive. The hike is another 2 or 3 hours, I think. I personlly cant function without a full nights sleep, so we just went to the monestary and back in a 6 hour round trip. I enjoyed it but cant tell you if you will think it's worth seeing, but I thought so. Have fun!.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 09:15 AM
Mike

Definitely stay at the new Ritz Carlton resort in Sharm. It's absolutely amazing, beautiful property and excellent service. It's only a matter of time before it's on the top 10 lists of all the major travel magazines. It also has direct beach access to the best snorkeling and underwater life in the entire region.

Cheers,

Mike

Search this Thread