Hotels in Maurituis

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Maurituis

So many hotels to choose from in Mauritius!!

We were looking to go all inclusive but the 5* hotels do not offer this so are looking at half board, however it concerns me that drinks will be really expensive (my other half is partial to a beer and me to a cocktail when in tropical places!) Any feedback on what prices to expect?

I'm really liking the Oberoi (can you do half board as some brochures says you can some you cant!) and also the only and only resorts (but which one? does one appeal to a different age group more - I'm 27). Also like le Prince Maurice.

Also wanting to avoid too many children!!

We are going in May - is one coast better to go to than another at that time. (I've heard it can get windy on the east coast in July - is it the same in May?)

Anyones views would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

PS I know I had already posted this earlier but decided that the honeymoon title didn't really show that it was in relation to Mauritius and can't change the title!!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:25 AM

I just returned form mauritius after spending 7 days. I did not find the vacation realy worth it. I did not find the beaches any great. The hotel we stayed La Plantation in the North west is a disaster never stay there.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:28 AM

i agree with the above poster. if you are in the african area for safari it's fine for a stopover, but as a stand alone destination, the beaches are not that great, despite having all the ingredients.

that said, the east coast is windy but on a hot day you want that wind.

wolmar flic en flac (sugar bay/ sugar something) really has an unbeatable place to swim, and i believe it is all inclusive.

it can be an expensive destination. brace yourself.
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:49 PM

We were in Mauritius for part of our honeymoon in November. Mauritius really isn't as bad as the above posts mention... I think it really just depends on what you are looking for and where you stay. I could see how staying at a so-so place would really impact your experience. Therefore, if you aren't much of a swimmer and really like posh resorts in warm, arid climates, than this is for you. We found the weather to be fantastic. It was dry and warm.

The resorts were amazing! We stayed at Oberoi and Prince Maurice. LOVED the Prince Maurice, but there isn't much of a nightlife. They have live music at the resort and a great bar though. The service was also impeccable. There are some other resorts close by. We didn't visit them, but they may be a good option for nightlife. I believe they are larger with more young people.

The food at Prince Maurice was fantastic and I would suggest half-board. I can still taste the fresh fruit at breakfast overlooking the ocean (the selection was impressive).

The Oberoi was also lovely and it is closer to a large resort area. The food was TERRIBLE though. Room service and breakfast was okay, but dinner in the main restaurant was so salty that we couldn't eat it. Everything was overcooked. I wouldn't suggest getting half board there. Try taking a car into the town and eating at other restaurants. We were surprised, there were several nice choices. The concierge at the hotel was very helpful.

I'm happy to answer any other specific questions about either resort. We enjoyed our stay at both. Whatever you decide, have a great honeymoon!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
farflung

We went to Mauritius in Oct. 2004 and loved it! We stayed at the 5* Belle Mare Plage on the east coast which had an awesome white sand beach and warm blue water. Golf was an important thing for us, so this hotel was perfect since it had two 18 hole courses and free green fees. That said, golf carts were compulsory on one of the courses and they cost $50USD, which we did not know ahead of time, and didn't care for that too much. We got over it though...

We stayed on half-board basis and the food was good - too much to choose from! We took along zip-lock bags and made sandwiches for lunch at breakfast. Weather was warm and we were golfing so lunch wasn't a big deal for us. I don't recall drinks being excessively expensive as far as general hotel prices go, but if you are worried send an email to the hotel and ask their drinks prices... Some of the hotels have small shops within walking distance where you could pick up some lunch provisions. A couple of times we had lunch on the beach - you can't beat having a waiter on the beach! And again, things were more expensive than going to a regular restaurant, but it was served on the beach. Generally, the Mauritians are very friendly.

Most of the big hotels had kid's clubs so most kids were occupied. Also, you could eat your dinner at a later time, most families like to eat on the early side...

The south/southwest is supposed to be the windy part of the island...

Several people I know LOVE Mauritius and have gone several times. One loves the Le Paradis (a Beachcomber hotel) which is in the south and the other loves the Beau Rivage. Another friend went in Feb. and stayed at a 3* hotel in the north of the island and didn't enjoy it very much - bad food and weather.

I booked through http://www.newadventures.com/
and they were fine. But look around, prices really vary.

We hired a taxi one day and did a day trip to Port Louis and the Botanic Garden. Hire a guide at the Botanic Garden, it's cheap and we learned some interesting things. Excursions run through the hotels are usually more expensive than if you were to hire a taxi for the day and only go to the places you want and not in a big group being herded about.