Hotels in Luxor and Sharm El Shek

Aug 9th, 2000, 11:07 AM
terry

Hotels in Luxor and Sharm El Shek

I am travelling to Egypt for 2 weeks in October and will be stopping over in Luxor for a few days and in Sharm El Shek for a few days.

Can anyone recommend an affordable yet clean/safe hotel for 2 people? We're looking for a hotel thatb offers some of the local culture (rather than a 4-star modern hotel).

Also, is it best to book rooms now, or bargain when we arrive?

Aug 31st, 2000, 06:50 PM
Mary

I don't know what your budget is, but from what I gather, October is a big tourist time. We went earlier this month and stayed at the Old Winter Palace in Luxor ($145/night for a "Run of the House" room) -- the New Winter Palace is attached and a bit less expensive. It is 5-star, right across the street from the Nile, 2 blocks or less from the Luxor Temple, another block or 2 from the Luxor Museum and another 3-4 blocks from Karnack. Don't pay for a tour of these things, because they are easily done on your own. You'll be approaching constantly for horse carriage rides and felucca rides. You can take a carriage to Karnack, have the driver wait however long and return you to your hotel for 5-10 Egyptian pounds (or less!).

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Sharm El Sheikh. It is a BEAUTIFUL COMPLETE resort on the sea with great snorkeling (rent equipment for $8 USD/day). It is a bit pricey, as well ($180 for the Regency Club), but the hotel rooms are cheaper (about $140 or so) -- 5-star, but DEFINITELY, from what I saw, the BEST hotel in Sharm.

Check www.travelocity.com for your hotel reservations. Sharm's airport code is SSH and Luxor is LXR, I believe.

Email me, if you wish, for more info.

Sep 8th, 2000, 11:44 AM
Ashley

In Sharm, the Sanafir hotel is excellent. It was only $30/per person/night and had great atmosphere. There's a nightly belly dancer, a bar, a disco and free breakfast. Its across the street from the ocean (hence the cheaper prices) but right in the thick of the shops and restaurants. The diving is fabulous (water is COLD though).

Search this Thread