Hotels in Johannesburg - Grace or Saxon

Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:11 AM
jm1029

Hotels in Johannesburg - Grace or Saxon

We have a couple of nights to spend in Johannesburg next July and are considering either the Grace or the Saxon. We have heard great things about both of them. has anyone stayed at either place.

Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:23 AM
RnR

Yes, stayed at Grace on Bath Street in October - lovely hotel - good restaurant - and one block away, a terrific market on Sunday mornings. Terrific staff!!!

Dec 4th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Michael

I've stayed at The Westcliff, which is on a hill overlooking the zoo, and runs shuttles to Sandton. Great hotel -- top in Joburg in my book (except for maybe the Saxon, which is a smaller, much more expensive hotel), but Westcliff, I think, is nicer than the Grace. It might be worth looking at as another alernative.

Dec 4th, 2002, 05:33 PM
angela

I stayed at the Garce two years ago. The service was quite extraordinary, they went out of their way to anticipate what we wanted and even upgraded us to a suite.The food was wonderful and cheap. The location is good for Jo'burg because it is nextdoor to a safe upscale shopping center where you can do some last minute shopping.It is all very familiar and very European/American. However, I don't think Jo'burg is a particularly interesting city to visit and so on this trip we only stayed one night in order to make our connection. I haven't stayed at the Westcliff or the Saxon but the Grace gives the feeling of a city hotel rather than a resort (Westcliff)or a smaller more insular house/hotel like the Saxon.

Search this Thread