Hotels in Haifa and getting there and back

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2008, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are going on a group tour of Israel in late June/early July, staying in Jerusalem (Sheraton), Kibbutz Ein Gev Guest House, and Tel Aviv (Renaissance). We are arriving three days ahead of the group and are planning to spend one or two of those extra days in Haifa. (Is this a good choice?)

The travel agent with whom we are working, at Arza Travel, has suggested the Dan Panorama (4 star) hotel ($188 per room per night for a double room) or the Dan Carmel (5 star) hotel ($240 per room per night for a double room) as possible places to stay in Haifa. Any advice on which of these would be the better choice? My sister is addicted to swimming so the swimming pool is an important consideration.

The travel agent has quoted a fee for a transfer from the airport in Tel Aviv to Haifa (including meeting and assistance at the airport) of $208 for the two of us and of $244 to transfer from Haifa to Jerusalem. These seem high to me. If they do to you too, can you suggest less expensive (but safe) ways to get from the airport in Tel Aviv to Haifa and from Haifa to Jerusalem?

Suggestions of what to see and do in Haifa would be welcomed as well.

Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:38 PM

Assuming you don't particularly need assistance getting through passport control and picking up your luggage, you can just take a taxi from the airport to Haifa. There are fixed rates. I haven't done that trip by taxi, but it should be less than half of what you are being quoted.
If you are traveling light, you can also take a train from the airport to Haifa (and then a taxi to your hotel).

Is your tour going to Haifa at all? Though it is a lovely city, it is light on "must see" places. The Bahai Gardens is the major site in the city itself.
What are you seeing on your tour, and what kinds of things do you like to do and see?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Alex. We probably won't be traveling light enough for a train, but I am a seasoned traveler and can certainly deal with passport control and picking up luggage by myself. The tour is spending 5 nights in Jerusalem (with day trips to Beit Guvrin and Masada), 3 nights at the Kibbutz Ein Gev Guest House (going to the Golan Hts., kayaking on the Jordon River, and to Safed), and 2 nights in Tel Aviv (stopping by Beit Shearimn, Issifiya, and Caseaerea on the way, and also visiting Rosh Haayin).

I am worried about the heat and that's why I didn't consider Eilat for our extra time, but maybe that's a mistake. We like to be active (e.g., hiking, kayaking), but the weather will probably not be conducive. I'm also interested in culture. What would you recommend for our extra three days. (We'll probably spend at leaste one of the three in Jerusalem, and could stay there for all three if that's our best option).

Thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:00 PM

The problem may be that most "active" places are really only accessible by car. There are plenty of lesser known beaches, national parks,and hiking areas.

If you want to avoid renting a car, it may just be easier for you to add a day or 2 each to Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

In Tel Aviv you always have the beaches, some museums (which may not be included in your tour) and wandering around Jaffa. You could also do Haifa from there in one (long)day, and could probably get a day tour by bus there if you don't want to go by train .

Most visitors generally want more time in Jerusalem, so that's a good option too

Eilat will be hot, plus it's far. Even if you fly, you'd be losing half/whole day in total travel time
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Here's what the group tour is doing in and near Tel Aviv: Rabin Square, Independence Hall, Rosh Haayin, artists fair on Nachalat Binyamin St., walking tour, visit to spice supermarket; there is some unscheduled time in the afternoons (they suggest using it for swimming), but no museums are listed.

Perhaps it would be better for us to stay in Tel Aviv our first night or two after arriving, and then go to Jerusalem, and skip Haifa. We'll be trying to get over jet lag those first few days. I'd appreciate suggestions of things to see and do in Tel Aviv and of a hotel.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:53 AM

Judi, Alex is right. I would add the extra days to Tel Aviv. You can go to the beach, visit museums, Jaffa.

It is not a problem to take the train or the bus from Tel Aviv for one day trip to Haifa (return in the evening, so you will stay at the same hotel in TA all the time).
Just make sure that you don't plan this for a friday or Saturday. Ask your hotel to make a reservation for you to visit Bahai gardens (the tour is free of charge, but it is in small groups, with guide). There is a bus from Haifa station to there, or you can take a taxi.
You will have time for a this visit and then to go to the Promenade. Haifa is very nice and unique.

As Alex said, better to use the taxi from airport; the price that your agency asked for is too, too high.

If you will preffer a night or two in Haifa, Dan Panorama and Dan Carmel are very good, good breakfast and nice vews. They are one near other (the same location). I would stay at Dan Panorama, but make sure at booking that you will have a room with sea view (the rooms have different prices if are looking to sea or not).

Eilat is also a good options. the hotels are with good A/C, and near the sea is not so hot, the water is not as warm as Mediteranian Sea. you will see the aquarium, take a cruise with glass boat or yellow submarins to see the splendide corals, you can swimm with the dolphins.

Any case, I am sure you will enjoy your trip!
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:53 PM

judilie, in Tel Aviv, I would recommend the Eretz Israel museum complex. It has an archaeological site and specialized museums of glass. metal, photography, etc, spread out across a nice park-like setting. Excellent gift shop with many handcrafted items (though a little pricey).

There are two other museums in that part of town--the Diaspora Museum (interesting historical exhibits, but most "artifacts" are actually replicas) and the Palmach museum (which has limited hours for individuals, if any at all).

Jaffa is definitely worth a day/half day of exploring. Some historic sites, galleries, great sea view.

Depending on your interests and what neighborhoods you are visiting with your tour, you might also want to stroll around the Neve Zedek area, or Rothschild Boulevard (many restored Bauhaus buildings)or go the Tel Aviv Museum of Art

Old May 7th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, Alex. A friend also recommended a visit to Acco, and he suggested that we stay at the south end of Tel Aviv. If you or others have suggestions of hotels in that area (good location, medium price), please let me know.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Acco is worth a visit, but it is north of Haifa. I think you can go there by train too!

The "south end of Tel Aviv" really only has 2 hotels--The David Intercontinental and the Dan Panorama. I haven't stayed at either but I know the Intercontinental is more high end.

There are more hotels in the "middle" of the beach front area, and a few (like the very expensive Hilton" at the north end.

The whole strip is about 2-3 miles long, so I'm not sure it makes that much difference, depending on what you want to see.

Prices are quite high at Tel Aviv hotels. I just read an article online saying that hotels were nearing capacity for dates in July and August, so book something (cancellable, if you can) soon!