Hotels in Egypt

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in Egypt

I have points to stay at the Ramses Hilton or the Nile Hilton. Anyone familiar with both of them? I know the Nile is supposed to be the more glamorous, and is just steps away from the Cairo Museum, but the rooms are somewhat outdated, judging by the photos. I also have points to stay at the Marriott. Feedback?
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM

I stayed at the Marriott last October.

I was upograded to a Suite with the Nile River View and a terrific view of the city of Cairo.

The Marriott is a lovely place and you can still walk across the bridge to the Cairo Museum.

Their breakfast buffet was one of the best I ever had....but the Hilton ( across the river from the Marriott) looks good also.

Percy

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 09:23 PM

I've stayed at all three. My preferences would be, in order, the Marriott, the Nile Hilton & the Ramses Hilton. I wouldn't stay at the Ramses again unless that was my only option. When I vacationed in Cairo I kept coming back to the Marriott.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Because of your responses, I "ran" to use my points at the Marriott. Unfortunately, they no longer have the points rooms (they did the other day!). Changed my Hilton reservations so all nights are at the Nile Hilton.

Sunshine, how many times have you been to Egypt? You're quite the pro! (You helped me on my Nile cruise query.) Glad to receive any suggestions you may have!
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Thanks Mileage Maven. I've lived in Cairo since Jan. 2006 and spent 5 weeks in Egypt in Jan-Feb. 2005 & 3 weeks in Nov - Dec. 2005 vacationing here.

If you have more specific questions, I'll be glad to try & answer. I find it hard to give advice without knowing more about what the person is interested in & likes to do.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Sunshine, I've been reading all your old posts. I know you think the Nile cruise is great, but I've been quoted $1460 for the Sun Goddess, and $1750 for a higher grade Sonesta cruise, including 1 extra night in Aswan and 1 in Luxor. Wow, that's a lot of money! (Flights would be extra.) I don't want to take the less expensive, older ship that Sonesta has (I forget the name) because I hate old and gloomy. However, in the old days (1967-1971), before you were born, I would backpack to all manner of places (the Old City of Jerusalem, Turkey, India, Iran, Japan, etc.). Talk about meeting people and having experiences! Forty years later, however, I'm definitely not up to what I used to do. So, on the one hand, the thought of being on a boat with perhaps snooty, wealthy people disturbs me, as does the thought of spending more than $1 a day for meals, "hotel," and sightseeing. On the other hand, I have grown to appreciate the cleanliness and comfort of the Hilton chain (but see, I get those for free with credit cards!) and arranging vacations in advance, so as not to have any--or as many--hassles. Help me, Sister, help me! Thanks!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:57 AM

The Nile Hilton has an excellent location and rooms are fine.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Mileage maven,
I understand you dilema about the Nile Cruise, but I'v got to implore you not to miss it. I returned yesterday from a 3-night cruise, and it was the most rewarding vacation I'v taken thus far in Egypt. The monuments and temples you see along the way are absolutely spectacular and well-preserved and Upper Egypt is beautiful, especially along the Nile. I traveled with a group from school, and we took the M/S Ra I, definitely not a 5-star ship (I hesitate to even look up the ship's rating online), but it was more than adequate, clean, and comfortable, and I have done more luxurious Caribbean/Mediterranean cruises before. In the end, it's up to you to decide how much you want to spend, but I would be tempted to do the more expensive one, seeing that it has more days in Aswan and Luxor. I only had a day in the latter, and I need to go back to adequately see everything in the area. Good luck, and if you have any questions, let me know!
Laura
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Mileage Maven, I was of backpacking age in the late 60's and early 70's so I understand your reasoning. I think you need to do some more research on the cost of cruises. Maybe you can find a travel agent who can get you a better deal on a cruise. Start off on-line with Thomas Cooke, a large, large tour company and see what they offer.

On the type of people on these cruises, mine had 3 tour groups (from Spain, Argentina, Japan) and one group of English speaking non-affilated types. My group had people who had a lot of money, people who were USAID workers, people who were Keeping the Peace in the Gaza strip/Sinai area, etc. Most of us were nice -- a couple weren't and income had nothing to do with that.

Anyway, you have no idea how much money the people on this board have. They are, by and large, a nice group of people. If people say that they are on a budget, no one criticizes them -- instead they offer suggestions to save costs.

Right?