Safari in June - Kenya or Tanzania?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi -- I will be in east Africa this June with my 14 year old son. We will be in Zambia for a week working with an orphanage and medical clinic, and then we will fly to Tanzania via Nairobi to visit the child we sponsor with Compassion. We would like to see some animals, and can add a couple of extra days on to the trip to do so.

My question is, to get the most bang for the buck, so to speak, would it be better for us to stay a couple of extra days in Kenya and go on a safari there, or go on a safari from Arusha in Tanzania? And, depending on which country you suggest, where would be the best place for us to go in that country if we only have a couple of days? Finances are definitely an issue, so I don't mind doing a couple of day trips, or tent camping for one or two nights.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 09:09 AM

The migration should be just about in the Masai Mara in Kenya at about that time. I've heard it's pretty amazing there. For Kenya, I would recommend Southern Cross safaris and ask for Tony. I was just there and he was our driver on our last day for our transfer through Nairobi. He was so enthusiastic and full of info.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:59 PM
sandi

Depending on when in June you'll be in East Africa, would determine where you should visit. And if you're already in Tanzania to see your sponsored child, stay there. The Wildebeest Migration that moves from the Serengeti in Tanzania to the Mara in Kenya will likely still be in the Western Serengeti. This area will be too far to travel with only the few days you have.

There is, however, a mini-migration in Tarangire Park from mid-June thru October which should suit your needs for a couple of days. But if you're in Tanzania the early part of June, Tarangire is not likely to work as the grasses are still be high (more difficult to spot/see animals) and there is still a chance of rain. If early June is your timeframe, then I would suggest camping at Lake Manyara.

Both Tarangire and Lake Manyara are relatively short drives (between 80-100 miles) from Arusha. And camping is an inexpensive way to go. You'll have a guide/driver and maybe a cook, depending on the particular park. Some parks have facilities for cooking shared with others campers as well as place for showers and bathrooms; at others you might be provided a cook. Tents and sleeping bags can also be provided.

Try contacting Roy Safaris at: www.roysafaris.com

send an email thru their Contact page, provide the details of what you'd like and ask for suggestions and prices.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. I think we have decided to go on a safari in Tanzania instead of Kenya. Sandi, we will be arriving in Arusha on June 26th. I actually did email Roy Safaris, and they suggested a two day trip -- driving to Ngorongoro one morning, an afternoon trip to the crater, spending the night at the Wildlife Lodge, another trip to the crater the next morning, and back that afternoon. They have a special in June and it seems that staying at the lodge is cheaper than camping.

Does that sound like a good trip, or do you think Manyara or Tarangire would be better? They mentioned that we could stop by Lake Manyara on the way back if we want to.

Thanks again for any suggestions.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:41 AM
sandi

Roy Safaris would best know where there are deals as to price. My only thought was that it was a longer drive than to either Tarangire or Manyara, but it certainly is doable. And if time allows the stop at Lake Manyara on the return is a good one. Go for it, you'll both enjoy your time at the Crater.