Hotels in Cairo

May 9th, 2001, 10:39 PM
joey

Hotels in Cairo

Hi! Has anyone stayed at the Garden City House Hotel, Cosmopolitan Hotel, Hussein Hotel, Lotus Hotel, or Windsor? Would appreciate any details/comments -- how are they locationwise (centrally located, relatively safe neighborhood, would appreciate it if we could walk to some sites/museums)? facilities? Would need my own bathroom, A/C, and hot water.
Also, in seeing the sights at Giza and Saqqara, would it be better to go on our own or get a tour guide or package tour?
This is my first trip to Egypt and any info would be a great help!
Thanks!

May 13th, 2001, 04:48 AM
wagih

hi ,how are you i want to till you that you will be in need for a tour guide in visiting egypt.
some of the hotels that you mantiond are not good or not comfortable some other are very far from the city center
for more send me an E MAIL

May 18th, 2001, 04:04 AM
scamalert

Don't trust the above response... he's baiting you into using him as a tour agent. The hotels you mentioned are very very central and not bad picks, each for different reasons. If tour operators want to use this forum, they should cut the b.s. and be honest.

May 18th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Sue

Joey: I don't know about your hotels but we just got back from Cairo and we had no problem visiting Giza and Saqqara on our own. We took a cab from our hotel and he took us to Giza, drove about the area, got us to each of the pyramids, explained a bit of the background and then finally parked in the area right in fron of the Sphinx so we could get some nice photos. All together we were gone about two and a half hours and I think we paid him about 60 Egyptian pounds, We got the driver through our hotel so we knew our costs and it was understood that we would not make any stops at perfume or papyrus shops. Unless it is something you think you may enjoy, make sure the driver does not take you the area where they park the camels and carriages because this will cost you another 120 pounds plus extras and it isn,t really worth. A good cab driver can do a better job. Try to get one through your hotel. The same for Saqqara and Memphis. They are close to each other. Not a lot to see but if you are there, well why not. Enjoy yourselves.

Sue

May 22nd, 2001, 01:06 AM
Debbie

Hi, I was just down at the Windsor yesterday scoping it out for some guests that are arriving next month. Anyone that really appreciates OLD for the sake of being old and being an antique or having lots and lots of stories to tell will love the Windsor. If you are looking for something comparable in the same price range that is newer and in a less congested neighborhood, try the Pharaohs Hotel in Giza. Write to me directly if you want more info on either of these or if you have questions about anything else.

Yes, I will probably try to sell you something if you write to me, but I won't do it here and I won't write bogus responses to myself. hahaha

Hope to hear from you and if I don't, hope you have a nice vacation in Egypt anyway.

Debbie

Search this Thread