Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Hotels and Cruise - Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/hotels-and-cruise-egypt-465679/)

gustavomeirelles Aug 8th, 2004 05:57 PM

Hotels and Cruise - Egypt

Which one would you choose?

- Aswan: Movenpick Oberoi x New Cataract

- Luxor: Meridien x New Winter Palace

- Nile Cruise: Nile Romance x Oberoi Sherazad x Movenpick Radames I

- Sharm: Sofitel x Hilton Sharm Dreams x Marriott

thank you very much!
Gustavo

rikkitikki Nov 29th, 2004 04:14 AM

The only one I can comment on is the Winter Palace. Went there for afternoon tea a couple of weeks ago. The hotel is looking a bit shabby these days but it's historic past is very evident. Although we didn't eat there we did check out the menu which looked very good and by western standards very cheap.

CWanderer Nov 29th, 2004 09:20 AM

I guess that depends on what you want/like. I loved this history of the old hotels so in Aswan we stayed in the OLD Cataract which we loved. Don't stay in the new Cataract. It was very run down and not very nice. But if you can have a drink or tea at sunset on the deck of the Old winter palce. It was one of the best parts of part month long trip.

In Luxor we stayed at the OLD Winter Palace and it was aged but nice. The New Winter palace looked very nice as well.

And I don't know wbout the other two in Sharm, but do not stay at the Marriott. We had terribel service and horrible food. I think your other two choices may be better.

Good luck! Have fun.

nks267 Nov 29th, 2004 03:05 PM

Aswan: Movenpick Oberoi - Even though its dated its light years ahead of the New Cataract which is an old run down hotel with some of the worst rooms I have ever seen for the amount of money we paid!! We switched to the Oberoi within 30 minutes of checking into the New Cataract! The Oberoi is dated but is clean and in comparison, worth every penny!

Luxor: We went last Dec when they had just opened up...its a nice hotel- only issue was that they turned off the aircon at night and expected guests to sleep with the doors open - which meant inviting strange insects...We switched to the Hilton which was not as nice but had the aircon on at night...not sure if the Meridien still has that issue. If not, it was worth the $$. The new Cataract looked nice...didnt go to the rooms but the previous posters comments about the terrace are right on!

Sorry didnt do the cruise nor did we do Sharm..

nks267 Nov 29th, 2004 05:32 PM

I apologize...I was reffering to the Meridien in Luxor in my previous post.

Alejandra Dec 1st, 2004 09:25 AM

A&K has some great boats, i was on the NIle adventurer in october, absolutely fantastic. They are not as big as most o fthe others, personal service and excellent food. I would also suggest the Oberoi with its private baconies.

DejaDeb Dec 7th, 2004 01:50 AM

Aswan: OLD Cataract Hotel, rooms overlooking the Nile - very relaxing.

Luxor: Would NOT recommend the Winter Palace. Rooms were a little musty, had sort of a damp feeling to them.

Nile Cruise: Oberoi Philae. This ship had private individual balconies; loved watching life on the banks of the Nile.

Haven't been to Sharm, but hear the Movenpick is very nice. That's where we'll be staying when we DO go.

Mary_B Feb 9th, 2005 08:35 PM

From our 2000 trip...

Luxor - we stayed in the Old Winter Palace - first floor - right near the lobby. Booked it as a "run of the house" room. The room was MAGNIFICENT - luxurious, super high ceilings, impeccable service, large balcony overlooking the gardens. FANTASTIC!

Sharm El Sheikh - we stayed at Hyatt Regency resort in the Regency Club area rooms, which offered breakfast and evening hors d'evours as I recall. Again, FANTASTIC in every way - we actually stayed an extra day because we liked it so much!