Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Hotel suggestions in Cape Town (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/hotel-suggestions-in-cape-town-1044748/)

Wandy1 May 8th, 2015 12:24 PM

Hotel suggestions in Cape Town

What is your favorite place to stay in Cape Town and which hotel. Spending 4 nights in Cape Town. my travel planner is pushing the Victoria & Albert Waterfront hotel, but people I met mentioned they loved the Garden area - they stayed at 2Inn1. We usually like smaller interesting nice boutique hotels, but don't mind a slighter larger one. We won't be driving, presume take taxi's. Which area do you think would be best. Our price range is between $150 - $200 per night. Want a centrally located safe place. What would you suggest? We will be staying mid September 2015. thanks

ekscrunchy May 9th, 2015 03:14 AM

The Waterfront is akin to a lage shopping mall, located on the water of course. Plenty of action, plenty of restaurants although not the best ones in the city, lots of shopping and an excellent food hall in separate building. ADvantage is that you can walk around there after your sightseeing days, andn you will not have to take a taxi at night if you want to eat nearby.

Other areas might mean taking taxis at night but that is not a problem in the least as they are easy to get and not too pricey. There are also some shops and restaurants nearby if you stay in Gardens. I stayed at Kensington Place a few years ago; it was lovely but might be out of the price range. I've also stayed at Mt. Nelson. I really do not think you can go too far wrong with any hotel in the city, as the bar is very high.

http://www.kensingtonplace.co.za/

Wandy1 May 11th, 2015 06:01 AM

Thank you, I was actually considering the Gardens, but was unsure as to the ability to walk around and see much. I was considering the 2Inn1, but wondered how far the walk to the restaurants as my husband has difficulty. I'm thinking the waterfront might be the best bet for him. Even though I'm sure we could take a taxi to the restaurants in the Garden area. Thought I'd get a few suggestions, as just looking online you sometimes not sure what you will get. Thank you,

kellyee21 May 11th, 2015 08:44 AM

If you do decide to stay in Waterfront, just be careful as many hotels may be officially located in Waterfront but you cannot safely walk from them to the actual Waterfront mall part, at least not at night. We always stay in Sea Point, but I would much prefer Gardens over the Waterfront area.

kellyee21 May 11th, 2015 08:51 AM

I just saw that you were considering the Victoria & Albert, this is right in the middle of Waterfront so very safe if you want that area.

zinfanatic May 23rd, 2015 02:08 PM

We highly recommend An African Villa. It is a lovely small boutique hotel in the Tamboerskloof area of Capetown. You can walk to the downtown area during the day, but must take a cab to and from the Villa at night. The waterfront area is as mentioned above- one big mall. You get more of a feel for Capetown in the African Villa. They arrange for transport from the airport also. Stay in an upstairs room away from the lobby.

http://www.anafricanvilla.co.za/

tripplanner001 May 23rd, 2015 04:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for a hotel for my April trip with criteria similar to Wandy. Gardens seem to be the neighborhood to be if I want somewhere where I can walk around - to restaurants, shops, etc. Any other favorites in the area?

diannelovestravel May 24th, 2015 03:41 AM

Hi Wandy1!
I would suggest Kensington Place, Cape Cadogan and African Villa. But you should also consider Abbey Manor Luxury Guesthouse. We have sent many clients there and they consistently have wonderful things to say about service and their stay. Some rooms are more traditionally decorated while others have a more "clean lines" look. Breakfast is lovely. Rates are even lower than the other places.
Hope this helps!
Best,
Dianne
Africa Direct USA, Owner

DarrenHumphrys May 24th, 2015 05:11 AM

Howzit Wandy1 and tripplanner001,
While the Gardens neighborhood is a good choice, I thought I'd also let you know that we often accommodate our travelers in the De Waterkant village, which is within walking distance (day) or a short taxi ride (night) of both the V&A Waterfront and the city center.

De Waterkant, situated on the slopes of Signal Hill and overlooking Table Bay, has a history that dates back to Dutch colonial rule in the 1700’s. The neighbourhood is part of a greater quarter referred to as Bo Kaap (“above Cape” in Afrikaans), which was originally settled by freed slaves hailing from the Dutch East India Company’s colonies in the Far East, such as modern-day India, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and particularly Malaysia. Thus the area was also commonly referred to as the Malay Quarter, and although De Waterkant’s architecture pays homage to both Cape Dutch and Georgian design - reflecting the heritage of the Cape’s past colonial masters - it also displays some element of Eastern design from the Muslim artisans and craftsmen. Throughout the past 300 years, Cape Town’s Malay community has played an integral role in the very essence of the city’s unique cultural blend. Besides their Islamic faith, the Malays originally brought the growing settlement much-needed skills with their carpenters, traders, scribes, tailors and cooks. Over time, they also influenced the lingua franca of Cape Town and to this day, the Afrikaans spoken in the city is still largely a mixture of Dutch and Arabic. While the majority of the city’s Cape Malays are to be found in the adjoining Bo-Kaap quarter, De Waterkant village still retains a vibrant multi-cultural atmosphere and has recently witnessed a renewed commitment to preserving its architectural and cultural heritage while also evolving into the city’s creative heart. De Waterkant offers an array of delights, including a concentration of quality dining and evening venues that are unique in their variety and eccentricity, accompanied by a number of home decor/interior boutiques and purveyors of quality African artworks, curios and objets de art.
Accommodation choices include The Charles Guesthouse as well as a number of restored cottages and apartments:
http://www.villageandlife.com/hospit...t_village.html

Hope I haven't confused you. I used to live in Gardens and still recommend it if you have your heart set on it, but I just thought I'd shine a light on De Waterkant as well.

Happy travels,
Darren Humphrys

tripplanner001 May 24th, 2015 05:29 AM

Thanks for the incredible feedback you're providing. Both Cape Cardogan and An African Villa are very appealing and fit within our budget. Between the two, which area is better in terms of neighborhood character and walkability? How does the De Waterkant area compare in these terms?

DarrenHumphrys May 24th, 2015 11:24 PM

Hi again tripplanner001,
Both of the mentioned accommodations are in great locations. They're quite close to each other, just on either side of the main road up to Signal Hill/Lion's Head/Table Mountain. If I had to choose, I'd go for Cape Cadogan as it's closer to vibrant Kloof Street and less of an uphill walk than An African Villa. Having said that, the latter offers a more personal stay through its quiet residential location and attentive service.

The vibe around Kloof Street is "urban cool" with plenty of restaurants and nightlife plus a few funky shops. There's a multi-media college in the vicinity as well as a TV studio, which lends itself to creative types frequenting the area. Besides my wife, the most beautiful woman I've ever seen was a leggy African model walking up Kloof Street to her agency headquarters. Kloof Street leads down into famous Long Street, which continues the inner-city vibe with a plethora of dining, nightlife and shopping options.

The vibe around De Waterkant is a unique mix of gay-friendly establishments and restored heritage buildings along cobble-stoned streets. "Quaint" could be the term I'm looking for, though some of the nightspots (read: some of the gay-friendly ones) probably don't fit under that term. It lies in the shadow of Signal Hill so also offers some uphill/downhill walking while you're exploring the nearby shops and restaurants, or walking further to the V&A Waterfront.

Darren

tripplanner001 May 25th, 2015 03:01 AM

Darren, thank you. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

DarrenHumphrys May 26th, 2015 01:30 AM

You're welcome!

Wandy1 Jul 19th, 2015 05:18 AM

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Would love Cape Cadogan, but it's all booked! Hmmm My husband has difficulty with walking uphill especially, will have to find something else, unless there's a cancellation @ the Cape Cadogan!
Darn
Didn't think it would be so difficult to get a room a few months ahead of September.