Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Hotel recommendation in Nairobi (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/hotel-recommendation-in-nairobi-915387/)

robrick Dec 19th, 2011 05:44 PM

Hotel recommendation in Nairobi

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Nairobi, in the $100.00 range, that is still clean, and safe, and preferably not too far from the airport? We are travelling in early May, 2012.
Thanks,

KathBC Dec 19th, 2011 06:47 PM

I stayed at Macushla House in the suburb of Karen for about $135 B&B.

Loved it so much I could have moved in!

It's right next to the Giraffe Centre and close to Sheldricks & Karen Blixen's house.

It's not close to the airport but a real gem of a place in Nairobi.

twaffle Dec 19th, 2011 06:53 PM

I always stay at Macushla, excellent value.

pody22 Dec 20th, 2011 02:24 AM

Macushla House is a very cool and relaxed. The rate is about USD 130 on BB.
If you need to be next to the airport then Panari Hotel can also do. I am not so sure about their rate.

Richard_Trillo Dec 20th, 2011 02:40 AM

I really woudn't use Panari - overblown, fake kind of place with no soul and little in the way of service. It'd really had its day. Redcourt is better in every way, and I think somewhat cheaper.

If you don't mind a much longe transfer time, Macushla is definitely the way to go - very nice.

Richard

qwovadis Dec 20th, 2011 03:08 AM

Hilton closest decent hotel to NBO www.booking.com
ihg.com Intercontnental my fav best more $ but
deals betterbidding.com usually. www.macushla.biz
super nice with more homey BB type vibe nowhere near
airport.

Happy Hunting!

qwovadis Dec 20th, 2011 03:12 AM

Just snagged ihg.com Visa CC 60000 points with first use.
FREE ihg.com stays if you do something like that I did.
Costs nothing as long as you clese it B4 1 year.
Also no foreign transaction fees saves me a bundle.

paymefirst Dec 20th, 2011 03:39 AM

I am an American married to a Kenyan and I have stayed at the Kahama Hotel in Nairobi(also in Mombasa) which is safe and clean. Its not five star but you will be happy with the price. It's less than 60$ a night and the local food in the resturant is good as well. I hope you enjoy your trip.

Safari njema

sandi Dec 20th, 2011 07:09 AM

Macushla House in Karen, definitely. Though small with only 6/rooms. Rates range between $130-$150/ppnt depending on whether shared or solo.

As Macushla is small, many opt for Fairview in the City, larger, with lovely grounds, restaurants, competitive rate. They also have their lower-cost Country Lodge, on the same grounds, where you can save a few $$s.

one2travel2 Dec 20th, 2011 03:52 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to stay at Macushla House (sounds lovely) but have stayed at the Fairview several times. It is safe and very comfortable.

crosscheck Dec 20th, 2011 10:45 PM

LOVED Macushla. We were lucky enough to stay in the separate two-bedroom cottage.

Harris_Mike Dec 25th, 2011 08:00 PM

Mvuli house just 15mins drive from the airport. Small but very clean

Iowa_Redhead Dec 26th, 2011 06:52 AM

We just stayed in Macushla House last night and it's very comfortable, clean is definitely not an issue and the staff is very nice. If you like cats, a bonus is that there is a very friendly cat named Mow who roams the sitting room and the pool area. She's a sweetie! You can order meals throughout the day and the food is excellent.

Safety didn't feel like a concern at all. It's in a nice area of Karen plus there's a gate at the entrance and a wall/fence around the outside. There are 6 rooms in the main building and a 2 bedroom guesthouse in the back.

When you say not to far from the airport, which do you mean? Wilson or JKIA? If you're arriving from/departing to another country it'll be JKIA, if you're going to fly to Masai Mara or similar then it'll likely be Wilson. Wilson is about 5-15 minutes from Macushla House. JKIA is a bit further (about 30 minutes I'd guess, but that's a complete guess).