Search

Clothes in Uganda

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothes in Uganda

Do you think short pants and singlet can be fine during safari or do you think I should wear long ones and tshirt? Thank you
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 10:32 PM

uganda's temperatures will vary between 15 to 28 degrees so ur choice of clothes is fine. however, a light sweater and trousers will come in handy on some days. relevant clothing is must if you intend to go mountain climbing. in uganda too cold does not measure up to winter, neither does too hot to melbourne summers. hope that was helpful.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 11:44 PM

Carry a mixture of clothing, its generally warm during the day so T-shirts and shorts should suffice. The weather at night drops and a hoodie or sweater would suite you best. Also long sleeved shirts are good for the night due to mosquitoes. Have a wonderful trip
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you thank you all for your support. I am frightned but this is quite regulare before every trip. I am leaving on Saturday and I really hope the time of my life.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 04:32 AM

GORILLA TREK RULES & ADVICE

When tracking gorillas, avoid bright colours and bright white, muted colours are best - greens, browns, blues etc.
You are advised to wash your hands before you start your gorilla trekking trip.

Do not leave rubbish in the park. Whatever you bring into the forest should be carried back with you.

You will be taken to where the guides left the gorillas the day before. From there you will follow the gorillas trial to find them. Look out for the gorillas nesting sites along the way.

When you approach the gorillas, the guides will inform you when to get your cameras ready.

Please always keep your voices low. You will also be able to observe the great bird life and other wildlife in the forest.
When you are with the gorillas:
Keep a minimum of 7 meters (21feet) from the gorillas. This is to protect gorillas from human disease transmission.

Do not look the gorillas directly into the eyes.

You must stay in a tight group when you are near the gorillas.

Keep your voices low at all times.

Do not eat or drink while you are near the gorillas to reduce the risk of disease transmission.

Don’t point or wave your arms-this can be seen as a threat. Move slowly.

If approached by a gorilla, back away slowly to keep 5m separation.

Sometimes the gorillas charge. Follow the guide’s example crouch down slowly, do not look at the gorillas in the eyes, and wait for the animals to pass. Do not attempt to run away. Running away will increase the risk of attack.

Flash photography is not permitted, when taking pictures, move slowly and carefully.

Do not touch the gorillas. They are wild animals.

The maximum time visitors are allowed to spend with the gorillas is one hour to limit their disturbances. If the gorillas become agitated or nervous, the guide will end the visit early.

After the visit, keep your voices down until you are 200 meters away from the gorillas.
General Health Rules.
Remember gorillas are very susceptible to human diseases. The following are rules to minimize the risk your visit might pose to them:

Respect the limit imposed on the time that visitors are allowed with the gorillas each day. This minimizes the risk of disease transmission and stress to the group.

If you are feeling ill, or have a contagious disease when you are already at the park, please volunteer to stay behind. An alternative visit will be arranged for you, or you will be refunded your money as per gorilla reservation guideline.

If you feel the urge to cough or sneeze when you are near the gorillas, please turn your head away and cover your nose and mouth in order to minimize the spread of bacteria or virus.

Always stay 7 meters (21 feet) away from the gorillas. The further back you are, the more relaxed the group will be.

Do not leave any rubbish e.g. food wrappers in the park.
If you need to go to the toilet while in the forest, please ask the guide, to dig you a hole. Please fill it when you have finished.

Recommended clothing list...

• Strong walking boots with ankle support for gorilla tracking.
• Relevant socks
• Light shoes
• Cotton or gortex trousers
• shorts
• long sleeved shirts for trekking
• sweater
• light jacket
• water proof clothing (not bright colours)
• hat for sun and or rain
• daypack
• plastic bags for cameras and film
Be prepared for cool, dry, warm, wet weather when trekking Gorillas. Gorilla tracking can be a long and strenuous walk, so go prepared.
Wear shoes with good traction, suitable for steep muddy slopes.
Carry rain gear, sunscreen and a hat, as the weather is unpredictable.
Carry water and food.
Carry binoculars-you’ll see much more! You can hire them at the park office.
When taking photos, remember your subjects are black animals in dim light, and flash is not allowed. Use a fast film (400-800 ASA); overexpose if possible.

Tipping:
• At restaurants, anywhere from $0.50 to $1, depending on service and how much for the meal....10% is a good rule of thumb.
• Driver/guides....................... $10 per client per day.
• Camps and lodges $2 to 3 per client per night
• Gorilla trekking guides and trackers $10 per client per trek.
• Baggage porters at hotels/lodges $2 per client per stay
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 01:20 PM

Actually, I remember it being freezing cold at the 2000-2100 m around Bwindi in the mornings. Even though the Murchison Falls National Park, for example, may be very warm throughout the day and night, Bwindi and around the Virungas in general, it will be chilly in the mornings most definitely Make sure to bring a simple fleece jacket or something similar.

For gorilla trekking itself, www.instinctsafaris.com who i was with, just told me to bring an additional t-shirt. That was a great idea looking at the physical exercise and unpredictable rain fall there.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, you were completely right. In my thoughts Equator was supposed to be the hottest place on Earth and it was not, but it was quite cold, let's say as Springtime.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 08:27 AM

Even if it's warm to hot during daytime hours, I wouldn't go with a singlet only or shorts. There are lots of trees/bushes and whatever else you might come in contact, be scratched, wounded or who knows what else (be bitten by something).

Consider at least a loose-fitting, light-weight shirt with a sleeve or loose fitting pants. This will also protect you from the brutal Equatorial sun even thru the forests/greenery... apply repellent and sun protection on any exposed skin and remember to wash off before retiring to sleep.

You can save the shorts/singlets for when back at your room/lodge/tent.

When the sun starts to set, it happens very quickly and the temps, depending at what altitude your are, also drops as fast. Be prepared with layers.