I just booked my first trip to Africa!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so excited about putting the deposit down on my trip, and since I have learned so much from all of you, I wanted to share my itinerary (and excitement) with you.

June 16, 2006: Arrival at JRO, met and transfer to overnight The Arusha Hotel.

June 17: Drive to Tarangire, game drive in Tarangire, Tarangire Safari Lodge, B,L,D.

June 18: Full day game drive in Tarangire, Tarangire Safari Lodge, B,L,D.

June 19: Proceed to Ngorongoro Crater, game drive in the crater, Ngorongoro Serena Lodge, B,L,D.

June 20: Morning game drive in the Crater, then drive to Serengeti with a stop at Olduvai Gorge and visit of Masai Village, Serengeti Serena Lodge, B,L,D.

June 21: BALLOON SAFARI in the morning, then game drive in western Serengeti, Kirawira Luxury Tented Camp, B,L,D

June 22: Full day in Serengeti, Kirawira Luxury Tented Camp, B,L,D

June 23: Another full day of game drive in western Serengeti, Kirawira Luxury Tented Camp, B,L,D

June 24: flight to Z’bar, met and transfer to Tembo House, B.

June 25: Spice tour with hot lunch, en route to Matemwe Bungalow, B, L,D.

June 26: Matemwe Bungalow, B,D.

June 27: Transfer to Z’bar airport for a flight to Dar, B.

End of tour.
TOTAL Price: 2 adults and 1 child (13 years old): $9,310.

Thanks again to all of you. Now I will need to know when to start worrying about booking our flights.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:18 AM
sandi

Nice itinerary and price. Good time of year to visit.

As to flights, if things remain the same as 2005, travel at that time of year - fares from NYC and/or BOS were running in the range of $1,200-$1,400/per adult. We flew into JRO (from NYC) and out of NBO and booked our tickets in February/March prior our late-May departure.

I certainly wouldn't wait that long since you will have to make final payment 60-days prior departure and if flight dates change (because of availability), you'll want time to make any land changes.

So start checking with the air carriers as soon as, keep watching and when you find the fare that fits your budget - buy.

If, you're planning on using FF miles, then you can book 330/1-days (Patty is real good with the FF information) out from your departure on the outbound flights, put a hold on the return flights which can then be booked 330/1-days out for the return flight.

You don't mention from where you're departing which might impact your routing. From the States or Europe? But know that there are rarely, if ever, any "special" deals on these routes.

Hopes this helps. But let's see what comments others may have.

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:33 AM

Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun. If I keep (i.e. don't mess with) the itinerary I have now, we'll miss each other at Kirawira by a few days.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:04 AM

Nothing to add except WOO HOO and have a great trip!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM

Oh no another "virgin" is on the slippery slope to Afriholism...
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:22 AM

Hi Carrie,Sounds pretty much like a trip we are planning for July 2006, except for the Zanzibar part. Instead of the Serengeti, we will be flying up to Masai Mara hoping to catch the migration. We are looking at Africa Adventure for our safari. Who did you book with?
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Hello All,
Newbie here. Carrie your trip sounds wonderful. I just found this site and you have a wealth of information. I just booked my trip too. I am leaving on 8/26 from Boston. 6 days on Safari(Kenya) at various different lodges and than finishing it off with 7 days in the Seychelles!!!!! I booked my trip through NewAdventures.Com via my travel agent.
This is a great site with very nice people.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Sandi-
We will be leaving out of Orlando. Is the first of the year soon enough to start looking around for flights, or should I start sooner?

Robarch-
We ended up going with Good Earth Tours.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
sandi

Carrie - you can start looking now, but I doubt there will fares a year out. So figure August/September and just keep an eye out with KLM which has a flight into JRO.

There may be other carriers, but not as good, I don't believe, as KLM which routes through Amsterdam. Keep us posted.