Travel from El Gorah, Egypt to Tel Aviv

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Egypt in October and will be in El Gorah, Egypt at some point (nearest town is El Arish). I know that El Gorah is 3.5 hrs away from Tel Aviv, but I do not know the names of the bus lines (I am assuming there are busses that will take me to Tel Aviv and back). Also, I would like to know the best way to get from Tel Aviv to Alexandria by bus. I know I can return to Cairo from Alexandria via train, I was wondering if I could get from El Arish to Alexandria by train. Also, I will only be in Tel Aviv for 2 days, what could an should I see in those 2 days. Any info you can provide will be most helpful. Thank you very much.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 01:54 PM
sandi

Some years ago, pre-Intifada - a friend took the bus from Israel to Cairo along the Med coast. But the border crossing is at Rafa (sp) at the tip of the Gaza Strip.

My guess is that Israeli buses ain't traveling that way these days. Or for that matter, even Egyptian buses. And personally, I don't know just how safe a bus route would be. If nothing else, lots of security stops along the way.

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 02:33 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Israel closed and then re-opened the Rafah crossing recently. No idea if through bus traffic still exists.

The only other land crossing is way down by Eilat on the Red Sea. You can catch an Egged bus in Eilat (probably have to cross the border on foot); I presume there are Egyptian buses that go there from Cairo/Alexandria.

Alternatively, you can get on the El Al flight in Cairo and be at Ben Gurion in 45 minutes.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. My brother is stationed in El Gorah, so it looks like he will have to do some research for me. I am wondering if renting a car would be possible from El Gorah (El Arish) to Tel Aviv since it is only 3.5 hrs from El Gorah. I am just wondering if I could find that info on line somewhere. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:52 AM
sandi

Both Egypt Air and El Al have flights fr/to CAI to TLV, but on different days. This might be the best and safest route and the fares aren't that expensive. If you happen to be flying trans-Atlantic on Egypt Air and wish to fly to TLV, they might offer a discount on that fare. I know that El Al does if flying to TLV and then wish to fly onto CAI. Check that out.

The bus from CAI to the tip of the Sinai Peninsula (at Sharm) to cross into Israel is a long one thru the desert. A flight might be better. Then you can cross into Israel thru a narrow no-man's land, and fly from Eilat to TLV (actually Ben Gurion airport, about a 20-min bus or taxi [sherut taxi] ride) into TLV.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I just found out that my brother who is in the U.S. army and stationed in El Gorah can get me on one of their busses that will take me to the Sheraton in Tel Aviv. I might have to fly from Tel Aviv to Cairo though unless the Army bus can take me back to El Gorah.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 12:25 PM
sandi

Sounds good to me. Enjoy your time in Egypt and Israel - two very interesting countries. Know you're planning Tel Aviv only, but if you have a day do try to get to JERusalem.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

How far is Jerusalem from Tel Aviv, I might be able to stay an extra day? If so what should I see and do on that day? Looking for suggestions on what to do in Tel Aviv for 2 days and Jerusalm for 1. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:53 PM

hotcin,

TLV is about 45 minutes from Jerusalem. There is regular and frequent bus service between the 2 cities. So it's really easy to stay in one city and tour the other.

I'd rather stay 2 days in Jerusalem and 1 day in TLV.

I would even take a half day to go down to the Dead Sea, 2 hrs. bus drive from Jerusalem. This place is the LOWEST point on earth, and one of the most HEALTHIEST... If you suffer from Arthritis, or skin problems, or back pains... THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU!