Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   hotel accommodation in Cape Town (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/hotel-accommodation-in-cape-town-310858/)

bonham Apr 25th, 2003 10:35 PM

hotel accommodation in Cape Town

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children travelling to Cape Town.We are interested in two bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchens. Can anyone also let me know which will be better between Cape Suites(Best Western Group) and Romney Park Luxury suites?

Selwyn_Davidowitz Apr 26th, 2003 01:20 AM

Hello Bonham,

There is no question in my mind that Romney Suites are better than The Cape Suites be it position, classiness of room and value for money. The Romney Suites are better equipped than the Cape Suites although both have adequate facilities. FAIR WARNING. The Romney Suites DO NOT have a smoking in suite policy that could well result in you landing up in a suite that stenches of smoke. Not only can this happen but it HAS happened to me when I did a professional recognisance trip to the Romney as a tourguide/operator. I was told that the policy of the establishment was not about to change as this was the type of accommodation that the venue catered for to its targeted clientele. Please understand that I am not saying that you will arrive and stay in a stench filled room; what I am saying is that there is the possibility of this happening and if it does and the establishment is full then you will have little else option as to stay in the smoke smelling apartment/room.

I am just about sure that Waverley is going to come up behind my mail and happily talk about the Sir Francis Suites in the Upper Green Point area. Hate to say this but even though the Sir Francis is sort of yoky ( sorry Waverley (-:} ) as well as the fact that the rate is relatively good I think the venue is rather tatty in comparison to many other places in Cape Town especially Camps Bay Terrace.

Camps Bay Terrace is a marvellous venue which I would recommend highly and could cost approximately R1440 (US$200) for the total apartment on a self catering basis. When suggesting this venue I am recommending that you stay in the two bedrooms of the penthouse suites as this suite is made up of two bedrooms which are very private, a kitchen, a huge lounge as well as big dining area. The kitchen is excellently laid out and only the very best of equipment is used in this facility. The penthouse is slap bang on the sea and is huge with an awesome private patio that overlook the sea. (75 yards away) On the balcony you have total freedom and you can have sundowners etc to you hearts content. There is a wonderful swimming pool that is a rim pool and sea facing. There also is a sauna that you could use. At night you will hear the waves outside your window crashing on the rocks below. Bear in mind that the sea water temperatures will be about 60 - 70F so it is pretty cold to swim in. Gila and Chris Marshall are wonderful hosts and they certainly make you feel very much at home when you stay in their guesthouse. So there you have it a wonderful hideaway right in the middle of the Camps Bay area.

Hope all of the above helps.

Have a wonderful stay in our city.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]

Selwyn_Davidowitz Apr 26th, 2003 01:24 AM

Bonham,

Oops! Forgot to give you the web address of Camps Bay Terrace.

www.CampsBayTerrace.com

Enjoy.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]

bonham Apr 26th, 2003 10:10 PM

Thanks a lot for your recommendation Selwyn. I was only wondering about the location of Camps Bay Terrace as compared to Romney Park Suites.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Apr 27th, 2003 12:42 AM

Bonham,

Whether you stay at Camps Bay Terrace (CBT) or the Romney Suites (RS)you will need a car or a taxi to get back and forth to the touristy places like Table Mountain, city centre etc. Camps Bay Terrace is located on the Camps Bay seafront which places it within 500 yards of the best part of 6 great restaurants and other shops inclusive of our biggest supermarket store viz. Pick and Pay whereas the RS is far from all of these type of venues. With you staying in a self catering venue I would think that being close to a Pick and Pay is important. The RS is closer to the Waterfront district and shopping mall (4 Km) than CBT (15Km) but then no matter whether you stay at CBT or the RS you will need a car to get to this area anyway. CBT is a walk away from a fabulous waterside walk all along the seaside whereas the RS is far from this type of activity.

If you are going to hire a car it does not make any difference whether you stay at CBT or the RS location wise as they are about 13 Km apart with the difference being that CBT is closer to all activities than the RS.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]