Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Horseback riding at Ndarakwai / Makoa Farm (Tanzania) or Ol Donyo Waus (Kenya)

Horseback riding at Ndarakwai / Makoa Farm (Tanzania) or Ol Donyo Waus (Kenya)

Jun 17th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Horseback riding at Ndarakwai / Makoa Farm (Tanzania) or Ol Donyo Waus (Kenya)

I've seen Ndarakwai and/or Makoa Farm mentioned in some messages but haven't found if someone actually did this and what it the experience was like. I've also read riding is available at Ol Donyo Waus in Kenya.

Has anyone spent some time at these places riding horse? I'm considering doing this but am still trying to decide.

Thanks!
Jun 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM

When are you planning to go? We'll be staying at Makoa Farm/Ndarakwai Ranch but not until early December. My husband and I will be going on a private 3 day/2 night horseback safari on Ndarakwai Ranch with an additional night at Makoa Farm on each end.
Jun 30th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking at next year, probably September now. So I've got some time to plan. I may be traveling as a single and Makoa Farm/Ndarakwai Ranch require a party of two for riding. I don't know what the chances are of getting there and other guests being interested in riding too. I may end up excluding this from my trip. It wouldn't be good to get there and then find out I can't ride because I'm the only one interested at that time. Your plans for there sound great!
Jun 30th, 2005, 04:23 PM

You may want to email Elisabeth and ask her if it's possible for her to schedule you with other guests (in advance). She originally asked us if we were interested in sharing with others. It's also possible that you could go as a single traveler but the price will be higher. They keep their horses on the farm and transport them to Ndarakwai Ranch for the safari/game viewing rides, so there's the cost of moving the horses, setting up camp, and all of the support crew. See what she says. Maybe she has some ideas.

Search this Thread