A 3 lodge Sabi Sands/timbavati combination?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 01:47 AM
santharamhari

A 3 lodge Sabi Sands/timbavati combination?

Hi! What camps do you think make an ideal 3 camp combination for 9 nights in the greater Kruger area? Travel period April-August.

Simbambili, Ngala, Londolozi

Djuma, Ngala, Londolozi

Malamala,djuma,?

other options?

Hari

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hari,

How about this one, as you will get a very special rate for an 8+ night stay at Seasons In Africa's camps (www.seasonsinafrica.com)

Kings Camp (Timbavati), Leopard Hills (Sabi Sand), Madikwe Hills.

Or how about, to take advantage of great rates from a long stay at CCAfrica's camps:

Londolozi, Ngala, Madikwe Safari Lodge

Strictly Kruger Area?

Simbambili, Ngala, Londolozi, as you would still get a discount for 5+ nights with CCA.

Are you combining this with the Phinda auction I think you mentioned?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:42 AM

Along the lines of your question...Are two Sabi Sands lodges in one trip common, suggested, or just redundant?

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM

Why? The Sabi Sands is one relatively small parcel, and is smaller than some private concessions in other countries. Why go thru the hassle of switching?

I think Rocco's first suggestion is more interesting since you get three different parks, albeit Timbavati and Sabi Sands which to me are part of the same park.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:26 AM
santharamhari

Thanks everyone....not for the August trip Rocco.....that's already 15 nights (Phinda and all 3 Kwando camps), but a future trip....

Rocco, did you mention somewhere that you will visit and chk out both Kingscamp and Leopard hills later this year? I'm really keen on Londolozi though.....just for the fame and legend and reputation behind it....

Thanks
Hari

Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM

Hari,

I am scheduled to visit both Leopard Hills and Kings Camp in early December, but I may have to pass on Kings Camp, as there may not be enough time. My tentative schedule looks like this:

Ntwala Island Lodge, Caprivi Strip, 2 nights
Susuwe Island Lodge, Caprivi Strip, 2 nights
Kwando Lagoon, 2 nights
Kwando Lebala, 2 nights
Kwando Kwara Island 1, night (this is the only availability)
Kwando Kwara, 3 nights
Michelangelo Hotel, Joburg, 2 nights
Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge, 2 nights
Leopard Hills, 2 nights
Madikwe Hills, 2 nights
Mateya (Madikwe), 2 nights

I am determined to overdose on wild dogs this time around, having been unsuccessful on all prior safaris.

Although Madikwe Hills and Mateya are basically neighbors, they are in an uncogested part of Madikwe and are possibly the two most luxurious Madikwe offerings, although they do each offer excellent pricing in low season. By saving it for last, I will hopefully have already seen plenty of action in Botswana and the Sabi Sand, and will be content with a couple wild dog and black rhino sightings. Anything else will just be an added bonus.

I am hoping that Islands In Africa's camps (Susuwe and Ntwala) will provide some of the same magic that I am used to when I visit the Lower Zambezi. Ntwala is actually located where the Zambezi and Chobe rivers meet.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM

Hari

I'll put my two cents in for Mala Mala.

www.malamala.tv

Check out the cyberdiary for what sgoing on and in fact what has been going on with the Lions and Leopards for the last six years.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM

Hello Hari,

I'd definitely recommend Londoz -- I've visited there several times, and had excellent guiding and game-viewing on every trip. I'm going to Mala Mala this July, so I can report back then (assuming you mean April-August 2007, not 2006). Napamatt and others have had fantastic game-viewing at Mala Mala.

Instead of splitting between three lodges, I'd recommend about 4 nights at two lodges -- Londoz in the Sabi Sand, and Ngala Tented Camp in Timbavati. Londoz is fantastic for leopard, and Ngala is one of the best places in the Kruger area to see wild dog -- the Ngala pack is often in the area.

I wouldn't necessarily do two Sabi Sands lodges -- the best lodges (Londoz, Mala Mala, and Singita) are essentially neighbours, and the same animals are often seen so it doesn't make sense to move around. Pick one lodge and stay for awhile.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:25 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Julian/Rocco,

Yes, this is for 2007......at the moment my 2007 safari would be either June to August or October, 2007. Initially i wanted to do Kafue. But, Kafue is not recommended prior to August. So, still working my options....Julian i agree, spending 4 nights at Londolozi would make more sense than shuttling between camps in the Sabi sands.......

Thanks
Hari

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Hi we combined Tanda Tula in the Timbavati with Londolozi Tree camp last year. I find not many people know about Tanda Tula, it is just so special, a luxurous tented camp, quite small and intimate with a striking sense for detail. The ranger was wonderful, all drives were great. We will go back this year this time combined with (Rocco's advice)Simbambili. I can warmly receommend Tanda Tula